lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-12-2019, 03:35 PM   #1
dcgunleather
Not Yet Wild

Default G14 Clutch Issues

I recently bought a well loved (used) G14 for 900 bucks. The previous owner had installed a 4" lift and 22" tires, and it was a dog. It wouldn't climb even a modest hill without plenty of momentum.

I'm new to carts but not to mechanics... so the first thing I did was fill with fresh gas, new air filter, new plug, adjust carb, check and adjust valves, etc. The cart ran great afterward but still wouldn't climb.

I bought and installed a Yamaha Power Kit from CPP including new clutch slides/buttons and severe duty belt. Man, what a difference! I believe my little buggy would climb straight up a tree.

Now, I've got a new problem. Before the power kit, my top speed was 22mph on a flat ground. After installing the kit I'm down to 10mph. I knew I'd lose a little top end, but 12mph??? Something didn't seem right.

I pulled the seat off, put the cart in neutral and floored the accelerator. The primary clutch isn't closing all the way, and the driven clutch isn't opening all the way. I verified, multiple times, that both clutches were working properly before the power kit install.

My thinking is that the stronger spring in the driven clutch is preventing the weak and worm primary clutch from closing as it should... almost as though my cart is never shifting out of low gear (if there was such a thing on a CVT).

Is a primary rebuild in my future? If so, what should I know? Best rebuild kit?
dcgunleather is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-12-2019, 04:47 PM   #2
Crackback
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G14 Clutch Issues

When it comes to Yamaha golf carts there’s only one person to call. You need to call Don Plowman and let him know what you plan to do with your cart. He will set you up with everything you need for your cart to meet or exceed your expectations
Crackback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:30 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Agreed with plowman.

May be a wrong size belt. But I'd call plowmans and see what he says. I dont think there is anything he cant answer.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:35 PM   #4
drift240se
Gone Wild

Yamaha

should not lose any top speed with what you did.... call plowman. straight out bottom line something went wrong.. call Don Plowman
drift240se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:06 PM   #5
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Those generic white torque springs are way too stiff and will kill your top end, even if the primary is in good condition.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:58 PM   #6
dcgunleather
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all the replies.

I actually tried calling Plowman this afternoon, but of course they're closed on Saturday (who could blame him). I plan to call Brian at CPP and Plowman first thing Monday... it's just hard for me to believe there's something wrong with the kit when it's worked so well for so many others.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:01 AM   #7
Dave in VA

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
Those generic white torque springs are way too stiff and will kill your top end, even if the primary is in good condition.
The generic kit works well for some because it does what it says it will do. It increases torque. No one brags about top end after the white spring install. And the loss of top end will be amplified if the primary has any issues. The stiff white spring has also caused less than perfect secondary sheaves to crack and fail/break.

Make those phone calls and let us know who says what...
Old 01-14-2019, 10:21 PM   #8
dcgunleather
Not Yet Wild

Talking Re: G14 Clutch Issues

I called Bruce at CPP a total of 3 times today and left two messages. No response or call back all day today.

I then called Plowman's and was immediately connected to Don, who gave me his somewhat brutal opinion about the power kit I bought from CPP. I'll try to give you his diagnosis without causing too much of a stink between site sponsors...

He said the spring included with the kit was binding before the clutches ever had a chance to open/close. He didn't rule out a primary clutch issue, but was 99% sure the rear clutch spring was to blame. He then went on to give me nightmares that the overly stiff spring was going to unnecessarily stress the bearings in the rear end, the motor mounts, the primary clutch, and the engine itself... eventually ending with an exploding secondary clutch sheave.

I don't know about you guys, but $250 is a lot of money to spend on a toy, especially when it doesn't work as advertised. Sure, their power kit increased my overall torque; however, their website says that their kit will "improve low end performance without affecting top end speed." That has definitely not been the case for me, but I don't want to be too harsh without first speaking to Bruce... if I can get him on the phone.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:17 AM   #9
dcgunleather
Not Yet Wild

I just spoke to Bruce with CPP... he's a stand up guy. We spent several minutes talking about the issue, possible causes, possible remedies... and after ruling those out, he agreed to let me return the entire kit. Great customer service.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:42 PM   #10
Dave in VA

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgunleather View Post
I just spoke to Bruce with CPP... he's a stand up guy. We spent several minutes talking about the issue, possible causes, possible remedies... and after ruling those out, he agreed to let me return the entire kit. Great customer service.
Good outcome.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha