lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-29-2019, 07:57 AM   #1
Old Drill
Not Yet Wild

Default G16 crank case leak

My 1996 G16 has an oil leak that I could not find the source of. I put in a new plug and metal o-ring but it still leaked. Last week I finally bit the bullet and pulled out the motor, bought a clutch puller, yanked off the primary clutch and gave the whole thing a good bath with engine degreaser. When I got it all cleaned up I filled it with oil and anxiously peered at the engine with a flashlight in hand, fully expecting to see oil ooze from the crankshaft seal. NOTHING! Instead a small drop of oil would form at the bottom, rear of the crank case cover. I'd wipe it and after a few minutes another drop would form. My thought is that I am going to have to replace the crankcase cover gasket. Can anyone tell me if this job is something I should tackle? or should I bring it to a shop? If I do it myself, should I use RTV sealant along with the new gasket? What are the torque values for the crankcase cover bolts? Is there anything else I should do while I have the cover off? If anyone has done this job before, I would greatly appreciate any and all tips and advice. Thank you in advance for your help!
Old Drill is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-30-2019, 09:38 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: G16 crank case leak

You can do it yourself, since the clutch is already off. I would point t that side of the engine up, so the balance shaft and cam will stay in place. A thin smear of rtv wouldn't hurt. I suggest you download the service manual for torque specs.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 12:53 PM   #3
Old Drill
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
You can do it yourself, since the clutch is already off. I would point t that side of the engine up, so the balance shaft and cam will stay in place. A thin smear of rtv wouldn't hurt. I suggest you download the service manual for torque specs.
Thanks for replying! I have it sitting right side up now like it sits in the cart. Are you saying I should lay it down so that the crankcase cover is facing up?
Old 04-30-2019, 05:11 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Yes. Face the cover upwards. Unbolt the cover, and scrape the old gasket. Wire wheel makes this much easier and faster. Then spray both the case and the cover misting surfaces with brake cleaner to clean off any oil residue.

I always use a skim coat of permatex on both sides of the new gasket (old habit) and bolt it all back together. Just let the case sit like that for at least an hour (or overnight) before turning it back over to allow the permatex to set up before contacting oil.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:54 AM   #5
Old Drill
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Yes. Face the cover upwards. Unbolt the cover, and scrape the old gasket. Wire wheel makes this much easier and faster. Then spray both the case and the cover misting surfaces with brake cleaner to clean off any oil residue.

I always use a skim coat of permatex on both sides of the new gasket (old habit) and bolt it all back together. Just let the case sit like that for at least an hour (or overnight) before turning it back over to allow the permatex to set up before contacting oil.
Thanks so much for the help. Along with the new gasket, I ordered a service manual and a torque wrench. Hoping to reassemble this weekend.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:50 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I would avoid the wire wheel myself, too scared of junk flying inside the crankcase. I would just scrape it with a single edge razor blade.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha