lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-12-2019, 06:18 PM   #1
Apexcars
Not Yet Wild

Default VIN on 2017 Drive 2

I need to find the VIN number on the fleet cart I bought so I can get insurance to be street legal. I’ve looked at the links for identifying a cart but they don’t cover the newer carts.
Apexcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-12-2019, 08:06 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: VIN on 2017 Drive 2

"golf carts" do not have VIN numbers, only serial numbers. Drive2 serial number is right behind the driver's butt when the seat is flipped up.

Only LSV type "golf cart-like vehicles" have VIN numbers, think EZGO 2five. There is a bunch of equipment required that actual golf carts don't have. Yamaha doesn't offer a LSV, so never had a VIN, only a serial number.

Here's a little back story. ANSI has made framework to clarify the classification of these vehicle types. This "protects" consumers from using any vehicle where it's type might not be safe. What it also quite effectively does is protects manufacturer from mega-millions lawsuits for carts modified outside the parameters of the vehicle as delivered from the manufacturer when someone gets hurt or dies in an accident on said modified vehicle.

Golf carts (per the ANSI definition of the term "golf cart") Don't require lights, mirrors, reflectors, seat belts, windshield, or pretty much anything else. They do not have a VIN from the manufacturer, only a serial number. They are prohibited from top speeds in excess of 14mph.

Personal Transportation Vehicles "PTV" (per the ANSI definition of the term) do require headlights and rear marker lights, but brake lights and turn signals are optional (as far as I recall). Requires at least one mirror, requires reflectors, requires a horn. I think windshield, and seat belts are optional. PTVs don't have a VIN from the manufacturer, only a serial number. They are prohibited from top speeds in excess of 19.5 mph.

Low Speed Vehicles "LSV" (per the ANSI definition of the term, and 50-state legal road compliance) Do require DOT approved head lights, tail lights, brake lights, turn signals. A horn. A DOT approved laminated glass windshield with wiper. More significant roll-over protection. Seat belts, reflectors, mirror. Plus assorted other things already in this type of vehicle, like a parking brake. LSVs DO have a VIN assigned by the manufacturer. They are required to be capable of speeds of at least 20mph, and are prohibited from top speeds in excess of 25mph. In general, all LSVs can be titled and plated in all 50 states, and can be driven on any roads with a speed limit of 35mph or less. States have drafted their own rules also, so your situation may vary.

In my state, it is pretty lax, and titles and plates can be issued with only a serial number, as long as you promise it meets LSV specs. Many states absolutely will not do anything for a title without a manufacturer issued VIN, and some states don't even have options to convert/issue a VIN to anything they deem a "golf cart".
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 03:46 AM   #3
Apexcars
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: VIN on 2017 Drive 2

Thanks for the info. I’m in Texas and they are pretty strict here about making things street legal but golf carts had their own set of rules. They are allowed on roads with a speed limit of less than 45 miles per hour within 2 miles of your home or course. They require lights, a mirror, a slow moving vehicle triangle and insurance. They also have the low speed vehicle category but for everything except golf carts, unless it was manufactured as a street legal vehicle by the original manufacturer, it can not be used on roads.
Apexcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha