lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-01-2019, 01:02 PM   #1
Johnv 410
Not Yet Wild

Default 2009 EZGO RXV Whining noise

Question - My 09 RXV is making a whining noise during acceleration and when slowing down. There are no clunking noises or anything of such other than the whining noise. It sounds like it speeds up as you go faster and slows down as you slow. Would you think its the rear end (Bearings, Input shaft) or the motor it's self? My local EZGO said its probably the rear? Any thoughts or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Johnv 410 is online now Report Post
Johnv 410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-01-2019, 01:57 PM   #2
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2009 EZGO RXV Whining noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnv 410 View Post
Question - My 09 RXV is making a whining noise during acceleration and when slowing down. There are no clunking noises or anything of such other than the whining noise. It sounds like it speeds up as you go faster and slows down as you slow. Would you think its the rear end (Bearings, Input shaft) or the motor it's self? My local EZGO said its probably the rear? Any thoughts or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Johnv 410 is online now Report Post
Is the whine new? I know of one case of an early RXV where the neighbors refer to it as "The George Jetson Cart". Not sure if it as an issue or not, but has whined like that for years without any other issues.
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:15 PM   #3
Johnv 410
Not Yet Wild

I just got the cart so don't know much about it. It runs good just whines out as you pick up speed. I was gonna try replacing the input shaft but not sure if that would quite it down any.
Old 08-01-2019, 05:41 PM   #4
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

RXVs tend to whine more than DC carts due to the AC drive. The AC drive frequency increases as the motor turns faster, which leads to the whine getting higher frequency as you accel and getting lower frequency as you slow down.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:33 PM   #5
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
RXVs tend to whine more than DC carts due to the AC drive. The AC drive frequency increases as the motor turns faster, which leads to the whine getting higher frequency as you accel and getting lower frequency as you slow down.
What is odd to me is how some carts seem to have a more pronounced frequency whine more than others that are identical. I think that leads some people to think their cart is broken when it may not be.
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:12 PM   #6
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

If a 3 phase controller is a little out of current balance on one of the phases, it will whine a bit louder than one that is well balanced..
Old 08-02-2019, 07:37 AM   #7
Johnv 410
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the feedback. Yesterday I drove a newer RXV and it was noticeably quieter than mine. Again, I am being told the only thing I can do is swap out the rear and changing the input shaft and bearings would not make it any difference, so wondering If I was to replace the parts would be a waste of time and money. I did have it turned up and the carts runs really good, but I would love to quiet it down if I could.
Thanks again for all the feedback.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:19 AM   #8
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Make sure you have oil in the diff. I had an RXV with an empty diff and it almost sounded like a rabbit being murdered. There is a great recommendation on what to put in an RXV diff for oil on this site. CGTech posted it I believe.
Imapled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:05 PM   #9
Fred H
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Bob,

Can the phases on the controller be rebalanced during a reprogramming?

Fred
Fred H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:09 PM   #10
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred H View Post
Bob,

Can the phases on the controller be rebalanced during a reprogramming?

Fred
Unfortunately not. I have access to the settings, and do check them to be sure that they are within the normal range. Without a specialized dyno-like bench setup to monitor all 3 phases at the same time, while under load... I don't have one of those. FSIP had to build one to handle rebalancing of controllers that became unbalanced for one reason or another.

Bob
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO