lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-02-2019, 11:04 AM   #1
rmswenson747
Not Yet Wild

Default ezgo txt powerwise QE charger problem

my cart suddenly isn't charging...

full background...

* 2011 ezgo txt
* powerwise QE charger
* no LED lights up on either the charger or the cart when charger is
plugged in
* batteries were removed and cleaned 4 weeks ago
* cart been running fine, but ran out of charge today.
but i can't say i noticed if the LED charging lights have been coming
on since i did the battery work.
* i wondering if i broke it when i removed/replaced the batteries.
* i don't use the cart a lot, and it could have been running on the last
charge before i cleaned the batteries. we have used it a lot in the
last 3 days

i have checked the 2 fuses in the charger, they are ok. the power cord and the charger cord show full continuity.

first question is does the LED on the charger only light up when it is
plugged into the cart?

can't find any technical info on the charger anywhere. (i am trained in electronics). any troubleshooting help would be greatly appreciated.
rmswenson747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-02-2019, 03:08 PM   #2
rmswenson747
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: help with ezgo txt powerwise QE charger problem

it was the charger... dead... local dealer tested it for me. he did tell me that if there is a problem on the cart end, the led should glow RED. also found a lot of stuff on the web saying that the powerwise QE was junk.
Old 08-02-2019, 03:11 PM   #3
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Those Powerwise QE and Delta Q chargers are awful. But even when they “die” they usually throw a red fault code.
LukeL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 03:44 PM   #4
rmswenson747
Not Yet Wild

i replaced it with a Delta-Q SC-48.... i hope it works out...
Old 08-02-2019, 09:16 PM   #5
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmswenson747 View Post
Hate to break it to ya, but the SC-48 is just a QE in new skin. Garbage. Should have gotten the DPI.

Over the years I've learned what is a good way to accelerate the death of a QE/SC-48:

1. using it in direct sunlight (unlike a Yamaha YDRE charger, no fan to assist cooling)

2. Using it with a GFCI (the GFCI senses the varying voltage output as a problem, trips, and this blows the DC output fuse of the charger due to there being no diodes in line on that circuit. fuse is soldered to board)

3. they're extremely sensitive to 'dirty electricity' (are you having a short lifetime on incandescent bulbs or bulbs noticeably 'dimming' during the middle of the day?) and surges. Takes the AC fuse out, same, soldered to board. Also tends to take some FETs out with it, so replacing it or soldering in a new one just results in instantly cremating the new fuse or a nice fireworks show.

4. Using it after the car is well below 25% state of charge. Makes it work harder, creates more heat and for longer run time, = shorter lifespan.

5. They're "Made in China" (low quality control, disposable, and made generally cheap)
nickdalzell1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:04 PM   #6
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmswenson747 View Post

True that they are not the greatest quality, but with care I’ve seen them last many years.
LukeL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 03:59 AM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
Hate to break it to ya, but the SC-48 is just a QE in new skin. Garbage. Should have gotten the DPI.

Over the years I've learned what is a good way to accelerate the death of a QE/SC-48:

1. using it in direct sunlight (unlike a Yamaha YDRE charger, no fan to assist cooling)

2. Using it with a GFCI (the GFCI senses the varying voltage output as a problem, trips, and this blows the DC output fuse of the charger due to there being no diodes in line on that circuit. fuse is soldered to board)

3. they're extremely sensitive to 'dirty electricity' (are you having a short lifetime on incandescent bulbs or bulbs noticeably 'dimming' during the middle of the day?) and surges. Takes the AC fuse out, same, soldered to board. Also tends to take some FETs out with it, so replacing it or soldering in a new one just results in instantly cremating the new fuse or a nice fireworks show.

4. Using it after the car is well below 25% state of charge. Makes it work harder, creates more heat and for longer run time, = shorter lifespan.

5. They're "Made in China" (low quality control, disposable, and made generally cheap)

In general, I agree, almost anything else would be better that a QE (and the "new lipstick" SC-48 will go down that same path). Even the Delta-q "yellow & black" QuiQ is better.

Some problems have arised though

Points- with your generally ok assessment

1- they all hate the sun , JW2 Yamaha/Moric chargers rarely ever even use that fan, not good. JW9 chargers use it all the time, rattles like a low quality "fart fan" in a bathroom.

2- a GFCI doesn't know if your hair dryer is on high, low, or medium, it only cares about voltage feeding back into the protective ground circuit. Same for your charger, GFCI doesn't know about your charger's output levels. Worn-out gfci's do all kind of weird stuff once they have been "faulted" many times. I suggest that you never use a golf cart charger on a GFCI outlet. While a GFCI has its merits, it's not the most reliable outlet. If water intrusion is an issue in your charger's installed location, move or protect it better. GFCI was mainly designed to protect you against dropping the hair dryer/kitchen appliance in water.

3- I believe that the "just replace the mosfet/capacitor that failed" repair job in these newer chargers doesn't work is because the "logic circuit" area that controls it was damaged when the failure occured, so the new part will be subjected to immediate/soon after conditions that will bring it back to failed state.

4- totally agreed. It doesn't take much to put them "outside normal" conditions for heat and voltage parameters, crappy worn-out batteries does the same every day.

5- "made in china", likely by one of the "lowest bidders", need I say more?

If you think I'm wrong, feel free to elaborate.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 07:03 AM   #8
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

GFCIs: We had to remove all the ones at the shop we use to charge golf cars on (they were brand new too, first set we figured were faulty, were contracter crap anyway, we got new ones from a reputable brand and they would trip around half an hour into the charge cycle)

They don't seem to really affect our DPIs and Eagle Performance or the old Ferro-resonant chargers, just the QEs/SCs. Yamaha Drive chargers (are they really two types? we seem to have only one type--silver, with LEDs for Power, Error 1, Error 2, Charging, and Charged and a fan that always seems to run at low speed at first and speeds up to a noisy level after a few minutes) don't like them and neither do ERICs. ERICs are Club Car's own QE variant. They seem to be of even lower quality, we have two dead ones currently. they do nothing, no LED, no anything. they're stone dead. One is branded Summit but is the same garbage. They feel cheaper than a QE too, and there's no way inside of one--not even to inspect the fuses.

When i was trying to find out why a tripped GFCI would EOL a charger, i opened a few up, and almost always i discovered the DC output line fuse cremated. Open circuit. If you unplug one while it's charging and wait a few minutes the same thing happens. There's apparently no reverse backfeed protection diodes in the DC side, so if the car has enough juice, it will backfeed the circuit and blow the fuse. You may get it to work by just replacing that fuse, but if the AC side blows, forget it unless you love fireworks or some neat colored smoke. What I've seen take the AC side out is dirty electricity (in the country where our shop is it's bad) and any type of surge or low voltage.
nickdalzell1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger, led, powerwise qe
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO