lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-06-2019, 08:47 PM   #1
Seang1989
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Question 2001 EZGO TXT 36V Elec intermittent forward/reverse

Neighbor at camp purchased a 2001 EZGO TXT. He took it for a short drive when he bought it, no problem. Once it was delivered, it drove fine, then started to go slowly. Then it stopped moving, but if he moves the f/r switch back and forth it will move some. I'm trying to help the guy out. He was told it was a 2005 but it's a 2001. Golf cart dealer told him it was probably the on/off switch, he replaced it with no change. I did some research and saw that the Reed Switch was the cause of a lot of problems. I checked, it has already been bypassed. Fully charged, the batter bank had 38+ volts, each batter had more than 6v.

I checked the connections on the back of the f/r switch, (on the dash rocker, not on body under seat), everything was connected. I took off the cover where the solenoid and controller are. The controller looks new. The solenoid looks original. I was going to check and clean the solenoid, the large pos/neg lugs were rusted. The smaller two were corroded. I didn't hear any clicking when it was turned on. The resister that is supposed to go between the two large posts was broken and there was no diode, (saw in a video on replacing the solenoid to either replace or move the existing resister and diode to the new one). It was Sunday, no access to parts, so he is going get a new f/r switch and solenoid. I'm hoping replacing the solenoid and f/r switch will take care of the problem.

Do all of the solenoids require the resister and diode? Amazon shows them being purchased together.

Lastly in the attached picture, the green wire coming from the controller that looks like it goes to the pedal switch on the pds36v diagram has been spliced into with an added blue wire, (I suspect the color has no significance), but the other end of the blue wire is not connected to anything and looks like it was severed.

Any ideas? I'd like to help the guy out, he's already been taken advantage of. The golf cart dealer wants $125 just to come out and $85/hr to diagnose and repair. If I can't fix it I will put it in the back of my truck and drive it to the dealer for him. Anything anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg splice1.jpg (232.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg missing reed.jpg (214.8 KB, 0 views)
Seang1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-07-2019, 11:41 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2001 EZGO TXT 36V Elec intermittent forward/reverse

With a stock controller, the solenoid on a PDS drive uses the resistor, but not the diode. However, it doesn't hurt anything to install the diode also.

The spliced in blue wire could be used to trigger something when pedal switch is closed, or effectively keep pedal pushed if B+ was applied to it. (maybe used for troubleshooting) Probably not hurting anything, just tape up bare end to keep it from shorting anything out.

Does solenoid click when pedal is pushed and cart doesn't move?

Put controller into diagnostic mode and listen for beeped error codes when trying to drive cart. Text at bottom of attached label tells you how.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDS Label on Controller Cover.JPG (142.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:05 PM   #3
Seang1989
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2001 EZGO TXT 36V Elec intermittent forward/reverse

I'll check this out when I get to camp Friday night or Saturday morning after installing replacement switch and solenoid. Thanks for the tips. Will post results.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Seang1989 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diode/resistor placement, forward and reverse, reed switch, resistor, solenoid
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO