lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-17-2019, 03:25 PM   #1
Wronglong
Not Yet Wild

Default batteries dead overnight

Cart had been running normally. Went to move it the next day and nothing. Batteries well maintained. Plugged in charger and would not charge. I decided to disconnect the negative cable on the last battery and noticed a small spark! Two batteries were warm.Checked batteries and they are drained out totally. I'm a newbie with car experience but no cart experience. Where do I start?
Wronglong is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-17-2019, 03:36 PM   #2
LabRat
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: batteries dead overnight

Water, pure clean water....you gotta be pretty old to remember that song,
There is great battery maintenance info on this site. Don't worry about the little sparks...its the big sparks you got to worry about :)
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 03:40 PM   #3
Wronglong
Not Yet Wild

Water is up and has been up to snuff. I'm anal on maintenance. The spark I mentioned was weak but individually the batteries are around 3 volts. I thought that a spark with the key off indicates a draw or short?
Old 09-17-2019, 03:53 PM   #4
LabRat
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Oh oops i thought you meant that they were out of water. Most of the time i see a little spark when connecting the last battery in a pack, Something has happen that drain your pack....lights maybe or other accessories. You will have to trick you pack to bring up the voltage so that the charger will turn on.
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:09 PM   #5
Wronglong
Not Yet Wild

Well, I'm going to slow charge each battery separately overnight and then see if the regular charger will take over. The key was off. The lights were off. Didn't see brake lights on. Is there any way a solenoid can stick closed? Would that draw things down? As I say the left bank of two batteries were warm to the touch as if they were trying to run something?
Old 09-17-2019, 04:22 PM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

It would take a load of at least 10 amps to drain the batteries overnight, something else should have got hot.

Do You have any accessories tapped into those batteries?

If Your cart has an OBC make sure you leave the pack disconnected to allow the OBC to reset while You charge individual batteries.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:18 PM   #7
Wronglong
Not Yet Wild

No accessories but a batt gage. lights turn signal etc. Can a couple batteries that are weak affect overall charging?
Old 09-17-2019, 05:40 PM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yes since all batteries are connected in series.

The battery gauge should be connected to the entire pack and any other 12v should be on a 48v->12v reducer, so are there no other wires on any post of those two batteries that were discharged?
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:46 PM   #9
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

All 6 batteries dead? You don't mention year, but on some years, if when you lock the hill brake, and the linkage is misadjusted, it will activate the solenoid and it will drain the batteries. If only the 2 batteries that power the lights are dead, and the voltage of those 2 batteries is near nothing, then something was left on.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:41 PM   #10
Goober11
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
Water, pure clean water....you gotta be pretty old to remember that song,
There is great battery maintenance info on this site. Don't worry about the little sparks...its the big sparks you got to worry about :)
Water, pure clean water. I remember that song. Sons of the Pioneers
Goober11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car