lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-22-2021, 02:49 PM   #1
Buttbutcher
Not Yet Wild

Default Ez go gas

The cart backfires but don’t start. Does have gas gets some spark for a second but does not fire like it should. Any ideas

Found this wire where does it go
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (146.2 KB, 0 views)
Buttbutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-22-2021, 03:02 PM   #2
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ez go gas

Oil pressure light if you have one.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 05:13 AM   #3
Buttbutcher
Not Yet Wild

What would cause the backfire? Could it be a bad coil. When I check for spark it does but only for a second? Is that normal? Thanks
Old 05-24-2021, 05:46 AM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Backfire is sometimes caused by valves that need adjusted. Hard starting could also be caused by this.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 06:10 AM   #5
crash12888
Gone Crazy

How about some background?
Did you buy it this way?
Running and just quit?
Been sitting 15 years and......?
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 07:55 AM   #6
Buttbutcher
Not Yet Wild

Ok this is where it all started https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...errerid=193565

And the other day I asked a friend what he knows about golf carts. Had the rear up on a jack and gave it gas in forward gear. Motor fired and tires rotated so he wanted to see if it would go so we removed the jack and installed the battery and seat but when I gave it gas it just sputtered and back fire. So first thought was bad gas. Then we removed the carb cleans anD reinstall it same thing back fire through the intake. Then we checked for spark and it sparks but only for a second and then stops until you let off gas pedal and hit it again for just a second it will spark and then stop. Any ideas I am about to buy a new coil and CDI ignitor and voltage regulator but a simple fix would be Awesome thanks
Old 05-24-2021, 11:27 AM   #7
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Check polarity of battery . If it has been installed REVERSE POLARITY, it will do as you describe. A 4 stroke motor can't run backwards, but if the starter is spinning it backwards it will backfire through the carb. The starter is DC drive and if battery is installed backwards will spin the motor backwards.
sthreatt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 02:44 PM   #8
Buttbutcher
Not Yet Wild

That’s funny but I bet your right! thank you. I will check it out and let you know thank you Again
Old 05-24-2021, 03:10 PM   #9
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm with Crash...need some history on the cart. The linked thread doesn't provide any history, or follow up to the prior deficiency. What year cart? Was the motor replaced? What was the case for the cart to quit running, or was it obtained in non-running condition? What all was done to it and were the parts OEM, or aftermarket?

Another item that can cause the firing issue you describe is the wrong ignitor. If it is a pre-mci ignitor and an MCI engine for instance, it will do exactly that. Did someone replace the engine with a newer model year?

When you cleaned the carb, did you take both jets out, and the tubes below the jets? those tubes get gunked up and need to be pulled out and cleaned...often missed.

Has anyone tested the primary and secondary on the coil to see what resistances are? Easy way to tell if the coil is any good.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 04:13 PM   #10
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttbutcher View Post
That’s funny but I bet your right! thank you. I will check it out and let you know thank you Again
I was actually presented with that about 10 days ago. Fired right up after switching posts. It was a little humorous to me but had caused a lot of searching before it came to me.
sthreatt is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO