lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-25-2021, 12:27 PM   #1
Tommybh
Getting Wild

Default Can gas get in through exhaust valve seal

Just curious if oil can be suck past bad intake valve seals could exhaust be pushed into exhaust valve seal reason I ask is my ezgo txt had worn valve seals and I’m getting a smell of gas it’s not changing the amount in crank case but has obvious smell of gas I have replaced everything to do with fuel carb pump and fuel and fuel lines has a rich smell and now that I smelled oil can’t tell if maybe it’s the oil or gas I smell from exhaust oil was freshly changed and smells already... before the valve seals where replaced now that I replaced then should I change oil again adjusted valves after valve seals also I have 160 on both cylinders cart was barely used for 10 years mostly sat in a shed from what I just learned only driven if grandkids came to visit
Tommybh is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-25-2021, 12:31 PM   #2
Tommybh
Getting Wild

Default Re: Can gas get in through exhaust valve seal

My theory is if oil was getting sucked into cylinder and replaced with whatever through exhaust which would be why oil level is still the same
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5BA710F4-07AC-4960-8F91-CDEAD368DF31.jpg (190.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-25-2021, 04:07 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

You replaced the carb... is it an oem carb or an aftermarket from eBay/Amazon/buggies unlimited?
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 05:21 PM   #4
Tommybh
Getting Wild

It is an oem everything I’ve replaced so far has been oem parts still smoke on start idk if rings are bad or what smells like gas to me though but I also smell gassy smell in oil or my nose is off because I thought that at first and changed the oil is this to much oil it’s at the top of the f
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7B3C8E9A-FA67-43E6-9E72-C87E0F43F83E.jpg (88.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-25-2021, 06:29 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Is the cart lifted or stock height?

Burning oil and rich exhaust are 2 very different smells. I don’t intend to sound condescending, I just don’t know you or your experiences. Do you know what each smells like? It’s pretty hard to mix them up
Old 05-25-2021, 06:48 PM   #6
Tommybh
Getting Wild

I’m thinking it’s more of a gas smell but the problem I guess is the oil smells like gas but isn’t showing on dip stick to being filling with gas everything on the cart is stock one thing I did do after new fuel pump was installed that I’m worried about is I went to vacuum out the debris in the fuel tank after it aired out for a few days and it suctioned the tank in really hard idk if that could of damaged new fuel pump in any way
Old 05-25-2021, 06:59 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Drain the oil and install fresh oil. The oil should never smell like gas.

If the carb is overflowing because the float needle isn’t seating properly, it will make it run incredibly rich when it runs (if it runs even) and can get gas in the oil. New carb or not, it only takes one little spec of sand to hold it open.
Old 05-25-2021, 07:18 PM   #8
Tommybh
Getting Wild

I just pulled the pulse line off of fuel pump and it had some oil from crank case in it is this normal not full but dripped about a teaspoon out
Old 05-26-2021, 01:30 AM   #9
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Tommybh.

You now have at least three threads about this problem and the conversations are getting very disjointed. May i suggest in future, you stick to a single thread for the same problem. It feels like we are chasing you around the forum trying to help you.

You are saying that you now have compression of 160 psi, yet before you said i think 170 and 175! I am curious how you did the compression test. Maybe you can explain to us how you did it. These figures are suggesting that the rings are in reasonable shape. You need to confirm this reading again and also maybe do a wet test too by putting some oil in each cylinder and see if the compression figure goes higher. This will confirm if the rings are good or bad.

Some oil residue is normal in the pulse line, but yours does seem a bit excessive to be honest. I am wondering if your inlet valves are worn out and possibly pressurising the crankcase. This can push oil vapour into the pulse line and force oil vapours past the PCV valve, up into the air filter and then get burnt with the fuel. If you also have a leaking float valve as CP suggested, this would just make matters worse. The fact that the plugs and piston top look oily also points in this direction. If I recall correctly, CP suggested pulling the head to do the valve seals and i seriously think this is what you should have done. Then you could confirm the condition of the inlet valves. To inspect the rings, it would be pulling the engine and a full strip down.

Do us a favour and take the valve cover off again. Check the valve lash again and then show us a picture of the valve adjusters on all four valves.

I will go over all of your posts to see what you have done so far and we can collate that information to get an overall picture. Then maybe we can start to see where the problem is.

I will be back as soon as i can and see what we can do.

As CP said, the difference in smell of burning oil and gas is very distinct and your descriptions are a bit vague to be honest. I'm not having a go at you, I understand you are trying hard to describe the symptoms as best you can, and we will do our best to help.
Cartmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 06:17 AM   #10
Tommybh
Getting Wild

I apologize yeah I’m just at a lose I bought the cart brought it home parked it washed it up put it in neutral hit the gas and it would puff smoke out the back then dissipate after a few seconds I that second popped open thenew compression tester and got those high readings for compression before I even bought the cart I read lots of info on here about the robins engines and I did complete fluid changes first thought maybe since the compression was good I had a fuel issue causing smoke so I disassembled the carb to clean it and found a rusty internal carb bowl and said not even gonna try to save it so I went online and bought a oem carb off eBay ...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12437291157...7510%7Ciid%3A1

Then new fuel lines from car quest and last a oem fuel pump since gas I knew was old and I wanted all fresh everything .. after that I learned smell of gas could have something to do with valve lash so I adjusted the valves that didn’t help the fumes I was getting so then it was valve seals and I checked compression and got 160 in each since I did valve seals and I guess the valves where a out of adjustment in beginning of all this .. to clarify that I do smell burnt oil at first then to me it smells like it’s running rich but it’s puttting out consistent grey smoke now since I laid under and watched exhaust pipe closely also removed muffler and smoked as will from head .. to eliminate muffler
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO