lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-27-2021, 12:52 PM   #1
hwmarlow
Not Yet Wild

Default 1986 Ezgo 2 stoke, no fuel going to carb

My cart wouldn't start the other day. Plug was dry. I ordered and installed a kit on the existing fuel pump. No help. Still no fuel coming out of pump. Pretty sure the line is clear from tank to pump. I pressurized the tank and fuel came out the line to the pump. I am wondering if there is a definitive test for the integrity of the crankcase seals? I put my finger over the hole that the fuel pump sits on and i feel pulses when i crank the engine but not so strong that they blow my finger off the hole. Any help would be appreciated.
hwmarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-27-2021, 07:46 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1986 Ezgo 2 stoke, no fuel going to carb

You can spray them with starter fluid while cranking, but that usually only works for the rear seal.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 10:44 AM   #3
daviddavid
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

What if you try pulling the line off from the pump to the carb, then press the gas pedal and see if fuel comes out of the line. That could narrow down a stuck float vs issue with the pump/seals.
daviddavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 12:21 PM   #4
hwmarlow
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply David. I have in fact narrowing down the problem to a sticky needle valve. I can't find a replacement needle valve or a carb rebuild kit so i think my only option now is to buy a new carb.
Old 08-18-2021, 10:52 AM   #5
daviddavid
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I'd suggest getting a can of carb cleaner and giving the entire carb a thorough cleaning first. Might free it up. I don't have experience with aftermarket carbs, but it seems like the general forum consensus is that it's better to find a used OEM carb if you find that you do in fact need a new one.

Not sure how often you drive the cart, but it may also be a good idea to treat the gas with a stabilizer if it's not driven frequently to prevent gunk building up in the carb. I use amsoil saber to premix my gas (oil injection removed from my cart) and they claim it acts as a fuel stabilizer too so I don't add anything else to it (mixed 128:1 which is one oz per gallon). I drive mine every day so a tank only lasts me a month or two anyway.
daviddavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 11:21 AM   #6
Stone
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwmarlow View Post
My cart wouldn't start the other day. Plug was dry. I ordered and installed a kit on the existing fuel pump. No help. Still no fuel coming out of pump. Pretty sure the line is clear from tank to pump. I pressurized the tank and fuel came out the line to the pump. I am wondering if there is a definitive test for the integrity of the crankcase seals? I put my finger over the hole that the fuel pump sits on and i feel pulses when i crank the engine but not so strong that they blow my finger off the hole. Any help would be appreciated.
Carb can't change the fact that you have no fuel coming out of the pump. A new fuel pump is simple and cheap and if you take yours apart, you may find a bad diaphragm or something else simple. Even if your seals were non-existent, the motion of the piston should cause the diaphragm to flex. and some fuel to come out.
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 10:52 AM   #7
hwmarlow
Not Yet Wild

This is a follow up on my two earlier posts. I am the original poster. First, let me repeat that i totally mis-diaggnosed the problem by thinking it was the fuel pump. It's not. It is the needle valve that sticks in the up (closed) position. It does so intermittently. When it won't start, I can take a tack hammer and tap on the float bowl and this will drop the needle valve and then it starts and runs. I have taken the carb apart and cleaned it and have also polished the valve seat using a q tip mounted on a hand drill. Still the needle valve hangs up. I don't really need a new carb or even a carb rebuild kit. All i need is a working needle valve but to date have been unable to locate one. So pretty soon, i am going to buy a new carb off of ebay and hope that works.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO