lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-27-2021, 06:30 PM   #1
Rodie
Not Yet Wild

Default Radio ON/OFF via Key Switch (Express S4)

Hoping for some help here! The cart is a 2018 gas Express S4..

I am trying to wire in a relay that would pass power when the ignition is on (in the second position). The key is a three position (Off, Ignition Only, and Lights is the third position).

The key wiring as I understand it is:
  • B1 - Battery 12V+
  • B - I'm not sure here, for an electric cart it would be 36 or 48V, but on my gas cart I'm not sure what this is for. There is a wire attached.
  • I - Ignition
  • L - Lights

Using a multimeter -- with the key in position 1 (off) I only get 12V on B1, which I would expect.

With the key in position 2 (ign on) I have the exact same results. I was hoping to get 12V on I, and I could use that key-switched 12V to tell the relay to activate. I'm guessing that the cart needs to have the gas pedal depressed to have 12V here. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

With the key in position 3 (lights) I now also get 12V on L, which I would also expect. I would prefer not to use this to drive the relay for my radio if possible as it would require the lights to be on to operate the radio. I'm already going to be draining the battery with the radio on a potentially sunny day and would rather not have to run the lights as well for no reason.

Is there any way to accomplish what I'm trying to do? It doesn't appear that the keyswitch will give me 12V anywhere with it just being in position 2.

Perhaps I need a manual switch for the radio, which I was hoping to avoid. If there is another source for "switched 12V with ignition on" elsewhere in the cart (preferably in the engine compartment!) that would be optimal and I could stop screwing with the key altogether and not have to run as much wire.

TIA
Rodie
Rodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-27-2021, 10:32 PM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Radio ON/OFF via Key Switch (Express S4)

You are correct that the "I" terminal on the key switch is originally powered through the pedal switch. Some have mentioned rewiring the power path to run through the key switch first, then on to the pedal switch. The 12 volts + you're seeing on B1 is probably the feed to power the lights in position 3.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO