lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-18-2022, 11:28 PM   #1
BalanceGuy
Not Yet Wild

Default 89 EZGO GXT 800 2 cycle 295cc Crank Case Draining

I have a 1989 EZGO with 2 Cycle 295cc engine (Robbins-I think). My float was stuck open and I filled muffler full of fuel. I have been told I most likely filled the crank full as well. I've since cleaned the Carb and have it working properly, as well as emptying the muffler but I don't know how to drain the crank. My fear is if the engine fires, it could cause major damage to the engine if it is full of fuel. Any help would greatly be appreciated.
BalanceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-19-2022, 07:57 AM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 89 EZGO GXT 800 2 cycle 295cc Crank Case Draining

I have so many things to say and don't know where to start. I'll post your manual at the end of this.

Your engine is a 244cc 3pg 2 stroke. 1989 was the first year. Let's start with the basic operation of a 2 stroke engine. A 2 stroke engine pulls the fuel air mixture through the intake, past the reed valves, and through a hole in the side of the piston. It then travels under the piston to the bottom half of the engine case where it lubricates the crankshaft bearings. After that, it's pulled through a passage that puts the mixture on top of the piston for combustion. The entire engine case is airtight to make this all happen. If the case was actually full of fuel, removing the spark plug, and rotating the engine would eventually clean it out.

Let's talk about a stock fuel system.
The tank is lower than the carburetor. Fuel travels through the intake tube, up along the rear of the seat, through a filter, through the pump, and into the carburetor float bowl. From the float bowl it travels through the main jet, up an emulsification tube, and into the venturi where the engine sucks it into the intake. That's the key point. The engine sucks it in.
If you are running a stock vacuum pump and not one of those stupid electric pumps, fuel would have never made it that far to flood the muffler. It would have maybe come out the vent at most.

There is another path for fuel to enter the engine. The stock pump is run by engine vacuum pulses. The 89 has two pump mounting options. One is bolted directly to the engine. The other is a remote mount that has a vacuum line connected to the engine.

If the lower diaphragm is ripped, fuel has a direct path into the crankcase. I suppose that if your fuel lines manage to start a siphoning action, the crankcase, and muffler could be filled with fuel.

My suggestions would be to check the diaphragm for a tear, remove the plug and spin the engine over to clear out any excess fuel.
The manual is linked in post 25 of this thread. https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthre...=105501&page=3
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 08:47 AM   #3
BalanceGuy
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for all of the info. I will replace the fuel pump as well. When I would remove the plug and turn the engine over, it would literally shoot out a solid stream of fuel the size of the spark plug hole. Because the muffler was completely full of fuel, I'm concerned the crank is as well. So if I continue to turn the engine over without the plug in, this should empty the crank. Correct??

My father-in-law bought this cart new and in some notes he has written down in the manual it mentions the Robbins 295cc engine. Is there a way I can check this? The Manufacture Code is K1489 Serial# A18722. The cart has not been modified, everything is original.

Thanks again for all of your help!
Old 03-19-2022, 09:01 AM   #4
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

The 295 is a 4 stroke and was not available in 89.
Don't just replace the pump. Take it apart and look for a tear.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 11:50 AM   #5
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Also a 295 is a 2 cylinder.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 10:37 PM   #6
BalanceGuy
Not Yet Wild

I want to thank everyone for their input. It was the fuel pump. It did have a tear in it and I replaced it with a new one (are there any diaphragm's out there where I could repair the original for a back up). I purchased a carburetor based on the part number in the parts manual but I noticed the throttle throat was a smaller diameter than the original one. The original carburetor's throttle body is worn quite a bit but I wasn't able to find a rebuild kit. I did put the original back on because I was afraid the smaller throttle throat would decrease or limit the output of the engine. Am I correct? Does anyone have any input on this?
Thanks again!

Tags
1989, crank full of fuel, ezgo, gxt800
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO