lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-21-2022, 08:10 AM   #1
yler4cy
Gone Wild

Default 2012 RXV - Slow to Get Up to Speed

Good morning! I just bought a 2012 EXGO RXV with the Kawasaki motor in it. For some reason when you go to take off with the cart if you barely push the gas it will engage the clutch and climb to speed. However, if you push the gas to the floor it sounds like a car in 1st gear. The motor revs high but the cart just creeps along. I know the starter generator belt needs to be replaced for sure, but I am trying to figure out what is causing it to act that way when putting the gas all the way down. Once the cart gets up to speed it seems to be acting totally fine. I even let off the gas to turn around and push it to the floor and it gets up to speed fine. I am going to test a few more things, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
yler4cy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-21-2022, 06:12 PM   #2
yler4cy
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2012 RXV - Slow to Get Up to Speed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04b8J1CPfI0

Here is a video. The ground may make it look like it is going fast, but I would be surprised if it is going 5mph.

When I took off the first time it didn't do it. However, when I turned around at the end of my block it started doing it again. It truly didn't have enough power to climb into my driveway and then it like slammed into gear and went up. I can't figure out what it might be.
Old 03-21-2022, 06:21 PM   #3
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

It don't sound like its opening up. With key off check push gas pedal to floor and see if the carburetor plate is opening all the way.
We can go from there when you let us know the results.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 06:33 PM   #4
yler4cy
Gone Wild

Sorry if this sounds bad, but how do I know if the carburetor is opening all the way? When it works it seems to get up to speed.

I checked and the arm that has the cable attached to it does not open and touch against the plate.

EDIT: I checked again and it seems as if it has a little more room to open, but it isn't much. However, where the cable/rod from the governor attached to the carb it is dang near inline with the hole that it attaches to if that make sense. I don't know if the rod would pull it open anymore ultimately.
Old 03-21-2022, 06:42 PM   #5
yler4cy
Gone Wild

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Mrin6ogvaKA5kqRK7

Hopefully you can see the photo.
Old 03-21-2022, 07:05 PM   #6
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

I can't tell much from that picture. You know you can download pictures from your device to this site ?
Did this problem start all of sudden ?
As far as opening up you can remove the air cleaner hose and look inside to see if plate is wide open. Try it with air cleaner hose off.

You can also connect a volt meter to the battery and make sure its not overcharging. If it were to be it can choke the engine down .

Put it in neutral or jack up rear wheels and open it up to see with volt meter connected. I do both because they can get away from you. Ask me how I know but anyway the voltage wide open should be around 14.5 volts .
I assume you bought it this way ?
This is what it looks like when uploading pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg files uploaded .jpg (122.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-21-2022, 07:30 PM   #7
yler4cy
Gone Wild

Thanks Trig. I will check those.

Regarding pics, it post a blank message when I upload a photo from my phone using the specific widget at the top.

I did buy the cart like this, but it really didn't do it that bad when I picked it up. The old guy said you just need to push the pedal in slowly. I guess that should have been my sign.
Old 03-22-2022, 01:55 AM   #8
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

I dont really know the RXV models, but it looks to me like the clutches Or not working to full potential. This along with possible carb not opening fully will have a drastic affect on speed and power.

This might be a clue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yler4cy View Post
However, if you push the gas to the floor it sounds like a car in 1st gear. The motor revs high but the cart just creeps along.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 06:41 AM   #9
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
I dont really know the RXV models, but it looks to me like the clutches Or not working to full potential. This along with possible carb not opening fully will have a drastic affect on speed and power.

This might be a clue?
Cartmaster, I first thought the clutches myself but to me in the video they seemed to be working. Its really hard to tell without actually driving it myself. You might be correct.
Old 03-22-2022, 06:55 AM   #10
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

It looks, like it may have a short belt fitted which should improve low end torque but obviously not doing so. I wonder if along with possible carb operational issues, If a clutch is sticking occasionally, it could make it feel like a car stuck in gear and then suddenly releasing will make it feel normal again. Need more info, like Trig says, one would need to drive it to feel what is happening. the slow speed could be just carb/govenor but low speed revving high suggests possibly sticky clutch?

Watching the video, it would appear that the clutches are operating, but the belt is not riding very high in the drive clutch. This would make the cart seem to be in a low gear? I would usually assume not enough revs to close the clutch fully, but looking at the wear marks on the sheaves, it has been doing this for a while. It makes me wonder if clutch springs and weights have been messed with in the past?

It is definitely worth checking that the carb is opening fully first though, as it could have a similar effect. Also the governor may be pulling back to early and limiting revs and power.

Edit.

I have watched the video several times and i notice that with the engine stopped, The belt is not sitting at the top of the driven clutch. Also the drive clutch does not seem to be fully disengaged. I have no experience with the Kawasaki powered RXV's but that does not look right to me. I think we need to get some input from another RXV owner to see how it compares.

I now wonder if we have a sticky drive clutch and the wrong belt fitted?
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO