lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-23-2022, 03:56 PM   #1
Ronqusie
Not Yet Wild

Default 1998 ezgo misfires when starting

My 1998 ezgo misfires when starting. Had for 2 years. Always had a “sweet spot “ when cranking, depress throttle till you could here firing then wait a couple of seconds then accelerate. If you went past that spot , it would just turn over but not start. Now when cranking, about 75% of the time, it will backfire a few times and sound like it’s just running on one cylinder. It will eventually sound like both cylinders are firing, rev up and run fine, till you stop and then spit and sputter before finally cranking again. Checked valve adjustment, new fuel filter, clean air filter, carb has a stop on the adjustment screw, can only turn about 3/4 turn.
Out of ideas. My first thread here. Any help appreciated!
Workhorse model and used daily to attend chickens
Thanks
Ronqusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-23-2022, 10:37 PM   #2
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1998 ezgo misfires when starting

Pop the valve cover off and take some pictures of the valve adjuster screws and locknuts. Sounds like the intake valves are sunk in the seats and pretty much worn out. The amount of thread above the lockouts will tell us. If more thread showing on the inner two valves, it's time to replace.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 06:46 AM   #3
Ronqusie
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply. I’ll get the cover off and get those pictures. Forgot to mention, checked the compression- 149 and 150psi. Smokes pretty bad and fouls out the spark plugs every couple of months. Thanks again
Old 03-25-2022, 07:02 AM   #4
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronqusie View Post
Forgot to mention, checked the compression- 149 and 150psi. Smokes pretty bad and fouls out the spark plugs every couple of months. Thanks again
My bet is on the table.

Worn inlet valves,

Carb butterfly possibly open before pedal switch activates

Worn rings.
Old 03-25-2022, 09:45 AM   #5
Ronqusie
Not Yet Wild

Best pictures I could get. Hope they show what you need. Thanks again!
Old 03-25-2022, 10:05 AM   #6
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Does not look like eccessive wear is the issue.

While you have the top off set the valve lash to .004 with feeler gauges. There should be a "how to" in the tech section. If not sure, come back here and one of us will talk you through it. This may be the reason for low compression but I suspect possible worn rings. After we have checked valve lash we can do wet and dry compression tests, then move on to checking throttle opening timing.
Old 03-25-2022, 11:40 AM   #7
Ronqusie
Not Yet Wild

Adjusted valves to .004. No change.
If videos upload, one shows cranking and running as should
The next shows misfiring after running a short distance, off for 5 minutes then trying to restart. You can observe throttle linkage. If I play with it up and down it will finally rev up and run smooth. Never backfires when driving. Could this be a heat issue, seems worse the more I use it during the day? Once it starts to misfire, it will do it every time.
Thanks
Old 03-25-2022, 11:43 AM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

In gonna go with the throttle cable being out of adjustment and opening too early, based on the description in your first post.

You should be able to have the starter gen turn the engine over BEFORE the carb butterfly starts to open.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 12:00 PM   #9
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Two ways to check this. With ignition off, listen for the faint click of the pedal switch while watching the carb butterfly link. If the link moves before you hear the switch, you need to adjust throttle cable so you hear click before throttle movement. Or ignition on, if throttle moves before starter spins, you also need to adjust.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO