lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2022, 08:32 PM   #1
Walkbyfiath33
Not Yet Wild

Default Random bogging down.

Ok so I picked up a 96 Jacob Textron which is basically an ezgo. Has the robin 295 engine. So the engine runs basically flawlessly but then within 1-5 minutes of driving around it will bog down and stop running. Then very shortly after that it will fire right back up. Which makes it tricky to troubleshoot because whatever is causing it to bog down fixes itself almost right away. I was unable to recreate the problem for days when it was just sitting in neutral. But today I think I lucked out! I was running it in neutral in the dark barn for some more troubleshooting and it started bogging down and I saw something! I literally saw a spark jumping somewhere down by where the spark plug wires meet the spark plugs. When it stopped sparking the bogging down stopped.

Clearly it's losing power to the spark plug by jumping. But I guess my question is why is it jumping? Does the engine need better grounding? Not sure what the solution is. Any help would be hot.
Walkbyfiath33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-06-2022, 09:32 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Random bogging down.

Worn out spark plug wires. Replace them they’re 25+ years old.

Just like old cars. There should be a date printed on them if they’re OEM original. I bet they say 1996. Over time the insulation breaks down the the spark arcs through the insulation to whatever it can find ground through. When this happens the arc is through the wire so it never makes it to the plug and engine becomes unhappy.

I’ve used aftermarket plug wires and they worked just fine.

Funny thing is I did a quick Google search and these popped up, they’re the same ones I used last time I did a pair.

EZGO 4-Cycle Engines Spark Plug Wire Set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007G7FBS6...ing=UTF8&psc=1
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 07:52 AM   #3
Walkbyfiath33
Not Yet Wild

Unfortunately I know that the coil is an aftermarket coil because it's white on top and unmarked. But I'll see if it's the type that can have the wires replaced or if it's the type where the whole unit needs replaced. Either way I'll start there! Thanks sir! I didn't think electricity could make it's way through the insulation of those wires.
Old 05-11-2022, 07:19 AM   #4
Walkbyfiath33
Not Yet Wild

Well I replaced the coil and wires with a new one and the problem still persists. I'm gonna guess it's the cdi at this point?
Old 05-11-2022, 07:32 AM   #5
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Have you done the dark barn test with this new coil? If it is doing the same thing I doubt it is the CDI that is the problem. More likely just poor quality leads/caps on the clone coil.

There are Many Clone parts that do not work properly right out of the box due to poor quality materials.

Also what spark plugs are you using? these can go bad and cause external arcing. Particularly resistive plugs.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 04:52 PM   #6
Walkbyfiath33
Not Yet Wild

I haven't been able to recreate the bogging down when idle yet atleast inside the barn. I tried the new plugs from my working cart and it didn't stop the problem. I bought the same coil I used on my working cart after having luck. Hopefully I can recreate the problem and see if I can see a spark. Either way with how many of these I buy nowadays it wouldnt hurt to have a new igniter laying around. The ones I get are made in Mexico.
Old 05-12-2022, 07:20 AM   #7
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkbyfiath33 View Post
I haven't been able to recreate the bogging down when idle yet atleast inside the barn. I tried the new plugs from my working cart and it didn't stop the problem. I bought the same coil I used on my working cart after having luck. Hopefully I can recreate the problem and see if I can see a spark. Either way with how many of these I buy nowadays it wouldnt hurt to have a new igniter laying around. The ones I get are made in Mexico.
Out of interest which vendor do you purchase your igniters from if they are made in Mexico? This may be of interest to a lot of people.

If you have a new mexico made Igniter not fitted to a cart, is there any chance you could take some pictures of it from several sides to include any numbers on it in a fairly high definition?
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 12:20 PM   #8
Walkbyfiath33
Not Yet Wild

They are actually made in Taiwan. They charge 160 for them plus shipping from a local company here in Ohio but they do ship so I think anyone in the US could order one. I'll attach some photos. The local company is called eagle golf carts and I attached an image of there information as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220512_131617.jpg (188.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220512_131506.jpg (292.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220512_131512.jpg (283.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220512_131454.jpg (86.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220512_131805.jpg (134.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-12-2022, 01:11 PM   #9
Walkbyfiath33
Not Yet Wild

Also here's the weight difference between the cheap one that was on it with no identification and the Taiwan ones that I order. It's noticable from hand but here ya go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220512_140938.jpg (200.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220512_140950.jpg (211.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-12-2022, 02:40 PM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I’ve heard decent things about the red hawk brand stuff. I had a red hawk ignition coil on a Yamaha a few years ago and it worked fine. It was all I could get easily from the local ezgo dealer but aside from that one ignition coil I haven’t had any personal experiences good or bad with the red hawk.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO