lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-13-2010, 07:39 AM   #1
iowa101
Not Yet Wild

Unhappy glowing resistor Please Help

I have a 1989 36V ezgo stock. Last week I replaced all 6 batterys. And upgraded the cables to 2g. I use the cart for golfing and pulling a small light weight trailer around the yard. Yesterday I went golfing and on the 5th hole I could smell somting hot coming from the cart. The motor seemed warm and the big coil by the the drivers side rear tire was glowing red. Also the cart lost power in the grass but seemed fine on the cart paths.Do I need to get a new coil? and what might have caused this? Thanks for any help!
iowa101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-13-2010, 09:09 AM   #2
e-z-go1988
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: glowing resistor Please Help

Had you golfed at that particular course prior to replacing the batteries and cables?
That coil may have something on it that has caused the smell. Is the coil new. The coil will get hot if you drive slowly so you need to keep the pedal down as much as safely possible so the coils are out of the circuit, or coast as they are out of the circuit then also. Check that the connections are clean and tight.
e-z-go1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:27 AM   #3
iowa101
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for your help! This is an old coil. But the coil looks fine nothing on it.
this seemed to happen two times yesterday while it was sitting . I try to keep it floored as much as possible.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:37 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If it happens when it sits .... then the gas peddle is not coming all the way back to zero. Test by letting off on the gas and then trying to pull the peddle up some more after you stop. If this is the case the wiper arm is not resting on the neutral lug but the 1st speed lug transmitting amperage thru the coil but not enough amperage to move the cart ... just enough to burn it up.... check this out right away.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:53 AM   #5
iowa101
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all the help! I will check this when I get home tonight. I unhooked the batterys last night. Will this coil need to be replaced? And can I replace the acceleerator be replaced with a electronic one? If so will this take care of my problem?
Old 09-13-2010, 10:34 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Your question opens a broad topic of discussion.
Your cart has a mechanical speed selector system that works with the resistor coils to regulate speed.
You can convert your drive system to solid state electronics but, you can not mix a speed selector from one system with the drive system of the other.

A conversion to solid state would be the ideal solution.

A new speed wiper assembly would probably give satisfactory results for another 10 years. For le$$.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:19 AM   #7
iowa101
Not Yet Wild

Thanks again for the help Scottyb
So if I went with a solid state what would I have to change?
And if I just changed the speed wiper that would cure the coil heating up?
Not trying to ask to many questions here but do you think my old coil that heated up is still good?
Old 09-13-2010, 11:44 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The conversion is not cheap or simple ...
you need to reconfigure your throttle to operate a new potentiometer that replaces the speed wiper.
You need a new solid state speed controller that replaces the coils.
you need a new solenoid matched to the controller and new cables.
It may be simpler to sell the old cart and purchase a newer cart.
the old coil is made to dissipate heat. Getting glowing red a few times shouldn't hurt it.

It will be cheaper to repair than upgrade. The wiper board parts are fairly inexpensive.

Either way you are going to need skills to get her done. Which is why I say that for some it is easier to find a GC mechanic.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:36 PM   #9
iowa101
Not Yet Wild

thanks for your help!
Old 09-13-2010, 04:39 PM   #10
mauistardog
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I don't think you ruined your coils if you still have all 4 speeds. Like scott noted most likely the wiper board is out of alignment. The big nut that hold the board and is linked to the pedal is how you adjust it. Loosen this nut and then pivot the board toward the front of the cart. This will allow the wiper arm to touch the neutral contact. I messed with the linkage under the cart for an hour before realizing I had to adjust the board and not the wiper arm.

good luck
joe
mauistardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO