lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-24-2011, 01:05 PM   #1
chrisrice01
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1987 EZGO gas backfire issue

I just got this cart and it runs really well except for an occasional backfire. It does it most frequently when at full throttle and then letting of the throttle quickly. It's a fairly impressive backfire. I have ordered a new carburetor, plug, gaskets, fuel filter, fuel line, and drained the gas completely and added a fresh mixture (50:1) in hopes of fixing it. Am I headed in the right direction or should I be looking somewhere else? I have about 1 week experience with golf carts so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
chrisrice01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-24-2011, 02:41 PM   #2
M.Gilbert3
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1987 EZGO gas backfire issue

your ratio's a bit rich, should be an oz to a gallon, (128:1). i've got a crazy backfire with mine too, check to see if your mufflers got a hole in it or anything. sometimes if the carbs open a little to much when the microswitch kicks on it'll produce a good little pop. hopefully these little tweaks will help you out.
M.Gilbert3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:19 PM   #3
chrisrice01
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the info. I don't think the muffler has a leak. I have replaced the carb, leaned out the fuel mixture, new plug, new exhaust gasket, and it still does it. I can drive around the flat back yard all day and it rarely backfires. If I drive up our main street that is a pretty good incline and then turn around and come back down (little to no throttle) it almost always does it. So basically under full throttle nothing, and then followed by no throttle it backfires. Usually a small poof followed by a pretty large boom. Pretty cool but slightly embarrassing...Any help is greatly appreciated. I just finished a new paint job, new seats, lift, cargo box, and wheels/tires so at least it looks much better. Thanks.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:20 PM   #4
doozerann
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

try cleaning out the muffler
doozerann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:30 AM   #5
1moretoy
Never really finished

Mixed Breed

backfire after letting off the gas is usually signs of a small air leak. since you have already changed the carb (which is the first place it will leak) check the gasket you replaced between the engine block and the exhaust manifold and make sure it is still sealing off good. I had this problem with mine and after checking everything you have done, I found out the carb needed a stronger return spring to close it quicker when I let off the gas. hope this helps.

Last edited by 1moretoy; 04-17-2011 at 06:34 AM.. Reason: add
1moretoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:16 PM   #6
jd hauler
Not Yet Wild

if you dont have a short spring between your cabel stop and the throttle shaft, its gonna backfire on deacceleration or letting off the pedal quick, 45cents at the hardware fixes this.
jd hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:31 PM   #7
chrisrice01
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for all the info. I checked the gasket and re tightened and everything seems fine. I can't see where there is a leak anywhere. Muffler seems fine. Another thought...at some point the previous owner put an after market air filter on the cart. I was told that it is one used on VW beetles. It's basically just a small cylinder type filter and enclosure attached to a shroud coming off the carb. Could that be messing something up?

A slightly different topic but what is the proper needle adjustment for the carb? I know nothing about carbs so please ignore my ignorance. There seem to be two adjustment screws (one with a nut for the mixture?). I have that one set at two turns out? Is that close? What is the other vented one for and how should that be set?

I appreciate all the help.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:52 AM   #8
racin161
Gone Wild

The 1 with the small nut 1/12 turns out the other is not and adjustment and should be tight. Dave Box has posted the answer to the backfire question many times but your problem is in short the throttle is not closed before the mirco switch is shut off (not supplying power) The peddle mirco switch needs to close before the carb is on the throttle stop.Adjust your cable with peddle about 1 inch down and throttle lever just closed.Be sure to disconnect the battery while doing this and give it a run.You can always go back.
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:59 AM   #9
popatop
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hi Chris check this out by Davebox
Old 03-29-2011, 09:06 AM #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: backfire
Guys, think of the mechanics of what is happening here. A backfire is an explosion in the exhaust system. The only way this can happen is if you have fuel build up in the exhaust AND an ignition source. So you need to find out why you have too much fuel first. As Ol Jake says you need to ensure that the throttle butterfly is fully closed when you release the accelerator. Unfortunately the only visual way to be certain is to remove the carburetor, but you can be fairly certain by observing the throttle arm in the top of the carburetor.
As far as ignition goes there are two possible sources. One, of course, is the spark plug itself. The ignition is designed to turn off when the throttle is released and the spring is there to ensure that the throttle closes BEFORE the spark is turned off thus exploding any residual fuel in the system. The first issue then is to ensure that the spring is set correctly, and it may well be worth experimenting with that. Another source of ignition is carbon build up on the piston. During normal use this will glow red hot and cause, what is known on a 4 cycle as, run on. Now modern fuels have largely eliminated carbon build up but 2 cycle engines are running a nice oily mix and carbon build up is a pointer to running your engine at the correct ratio i.e. 128:1 or one ounce of oil to one gallon of gas.
Camojfk are you saying that you release the throttle and then you never press it again and as the cart comes to a halt it backfires? If that is the case your ignition must be coming from carbon in the engine.
Sam your symptoms sound slightly different as clearly your throttle is still depressed when you experience the backfire. Do you have the spring on the throttle cable. I can tell you that having driven with and without a spring, you do need the spring.
Of course there could be other explanations and it is difficult (at least for me) to diagnose problems without touching and feeling. All I can say is that this is what I would do.

1. Check the operation of the microswitch. You do not want it operating half way down the pedal travel as this would mean that as you backed off you could end up with the ignition off but the throttle partially open. The engine will continue to rotate and suck in fuel that doesn't get burnt but rather collects in the exhaust pipe. When you press the pedal again the gas in the cylinder explodes and sets fire to the gas in the exhaust pipe.

2. Check the throttle butterfly and the arm/spring operation. You want the throttle to be closed with say half and inch of pedal travel left before the pedal is fully up (and the microswitch still on).

3. I think that I might be tempted to BBQ the muffler. It kind of a long shot but it is an easy task and it will certainly not hurt anything.

4. If all else fails I would remove the cylinder head and see if it is full of coke. If you do need to de-coke it then use a blunt tool as the piston and head are soft materials. Any gouges will heat up red hot and you will be in the same position as if you had not de-coked it.

Dave
Old 04-18-2011, 08:47 PM   #10
chrisrice01
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you very much for all the great information. I am definitely missing the throttle stop spring and will get one tomorrow. I am hoping that does the trick. I will let you know. Thanks again.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO