lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-16-2011, 03:42 PM   #11
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Default Re: Found my Fuji Robin Replacement

I've got the old motor out.

I got the gasket set for the polaris motor and all gaskets appear to be identical to the EZGO motor.
The cases of both motors look very similar but they are slightly different.
Here's pics of both for comparison.

They both mount the same way using 4 bolts from underneath.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-17-2011, 09:26 AM   #12
rokcrlr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Yea ,keep us posted, I have a 89 non runner and this looks interesting,IF I could find a motor.
rokcrlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:52 PM   #13
rokcrlr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I did a little research today. Those engines were used in the polaris Indy lite snowmobiles and early ATV's. Now that you've started something, I wonder if there is someway to have a seperate ignition for reverse. I'm sure the polaris engine has alot more advance in it than the EZGO.I wonder how many parts are interchangable between the 2. Maybe use a polaris cylinder on the EZGo to allow the use of the Mikuni carb? I wonder about the crankshaft too,
Everyone said you can't do much to the 244 to get more HP,because it would fly apart, but the polaris engine is twice as much and the sleds would hit close to 50 , down hill. HHMMMMM lots of food for thought for us 2pg and 3pg guys.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:07 PM   #14
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

The polaris version has mechanical advance for the timing. Ezgo has fixed timing. I don't need much speed in reverse, just enough to be able to back up to turn around. The polaris motor should do that. Like I said, all the gaskets appear to be the same(I have them and I checked). Even the crank seals are the same. The polaris does not have reeds like the Ezgo does. That means the pistons are different. Same size, but the polaris is a piston-port motor so there are no intake windows in the piston. The polaris has an aluminum jug with a steel sleeve. Ezgo has a cast iron jug. The polaris has an cast aluminum fan, the ezgo has a plastic fan. As a side note, just using the polaris jug(it looks like it will fit) so you can use the mikuni carb will not get the same result. You still need the variable timing.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:07 PM   #15
rokcrlr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

wasn't really thinking same results ,just improvements to the 244 cart engine. How about the crankshaft?
Old 07-18-2011, 06:55 PM   #16
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Got the Polaris motor today. I decided to do a test fit to see how things line up, and what needs modifying. Everything lines up perfectly. It mounted right up to the existing motor bracket and maintains the same clutch to clutch distance. I can even use the stock exhaust, although I'll probably weld in a larger outlet tube. The starter tensioner bracket will mount up. The carb will sit level in the cart. I need to swap clutches, but the motor is in excellent shape. 135psi compression, and good spark using the pull cord. Still not sure about reverse rotation yet. I can't spin it fast enough by hand to get spark.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:53 PM   #17
zx800x
Not Yet Wild

Wow something new to look for at HAYDAYS.
zx800x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:53 AM   #18
rokcrlr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I found also that Polaris used a 244cc engine in their atv's thru the 90'sm , however there were alot of differance, I know the cranks are differant on the flywheel side at least. Maybe if a person could use the polaris cylinder and piston on the ezgo with a bigger carb you could wake these engines up?
Old 07-20-2011, 08:19 AM   #19
rusty shackel
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

they put these in the polaris colts in the 1972 to 1978 range.
i junked two of them last winter cleaning up man if i had known ..............

rusty s
rusty shackel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:26 PM   #20
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Had a small unexpected setback(got some wrong info). Pulled the clutch off to find that the crank taper is different. It's the same 1:10 taper, but the crank is longer on the clutch end and the taper larger. The polaris clutch has a larger hole than the ezgo. I'm dropping the crank off tomorrow to get shortened 3/8" on the clutch side, and then re-tapered to fit the Ezgo clutch. That will set me back 100 candy bars. New bearings are on the way. Other than the taper issue, everything seems to be going well. BTW... the ezgo and polaris cylinders are interchangable but you need to change the piston and carb. I don't know how well the polaris cylinder would work on the ezgo without the timing advance though.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO