lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-30-2011, 04:02 PM   #1
TGJR
Gone Wild

Default New coil over front shocks seem way too big. [pic]

Ordered some new coil over shocks for my 2004 TXT and they don't seem like they are going to want to fit. A little background info... The original shocks that came with the cart were completely compressed when I removed them. The only way I was able to get them out was to put pressure on the front axle to get the leaf springs to bend enough to get the shocks out. That can't be right, can it?

Anyways, here's the picture to give you all an idea of what I'm working with. The only way to get these shocks on would be to drop the whole axle or at the very least loosen the leaf springs under the floor so they hinge down enough to get the shocks in there.

Is it possible the previous owner changed something with this cart causing this fit to be this tight? I can't imagine taking off the previous shocks and installing these with the body and everything still on. So something has to be wrong.

Thoughts?

TGJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-30-2011, 05:03 PM   #2
dmax27
Getting Wild

Default Re: New coil over front shocks seem way too big. [pic]

If you install those shocks on your cart it is going ride like a rock. If you want to install them you could compress the shocks and use a 2 large zip ties to hold the springs compressed. Install the shocks and cut the zip ties when your done. If it rides to hard or sites to high when your done. You can bend the lower shock mount to give the shock more travel. Bend the lower mounts about 1 1/2 inches shorter and drill a new center hole for the shock mount. If you know someone with a welder you could relocate the lower shock mount 1 1/2 inches lower.
dmax27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:07 PM   #3
Spawn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The old shocks are really dampers they are not gas charged where they will pop back out.
Your old ones maybe are not bad. If you feel resistance pushing them in and then when you pull them out they are fine.

Take a old shock and fully extend it and see how close it is to the length of the new.
Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:27 PM   #4
TGJR
Gone Wild

The old shocks are the same size when fully extended. However, when they were on the cart (or if I put them back on) they are completely compressed when installed. They literally had no room to compress any further which I would say defeats the purpose of the shock. I have a hard time believing they were designed to be fully compressed/bottomed out while at rest.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:36 PM   #5
GreshamCA
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Could this cart have had lift blocks along with the drop axle?
GreshamCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:38 PM   #6
TGJR
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreshamCA View Post
Could this cart have had lift blocks along with the drop axle?
It was stock size when I bought it. I added the Jake's drop axle lift. And I figured while in there with everything off, I'll add some good shocks. These shocks are supposed to fit all TXT models.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:41 PM   #7
GreshamCA
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

And the old shocks were bottomed out?
GreshamCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:50 PM   #8
TGJR
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreshamCA View Post
And the old shocks were bottomed out?
They were completely compressed when installed. I didn't realize that until I went to remove them and couldn't compress them to pull them out. I had to put the cart on jack stands and step on the axle so the leaf springs flexed enough to slide the shocks out. Am I crazy for thinking they should be somewhere in the middle while installed that way you have travel in both directions? I mean, the way they were bottomed out I can't see them being any more efficient at dampening bumps in the terrain than say a piece of metal pipe would be.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:57 PM   #9
Hypersprint
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Something is not right in the suspension, check the springs closely.

Rob
Hypersprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:13 PM   #10
TGJR
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypersprint View Post
Something is not right in the suspension, check the springs closely.

Rob
I don't know what I'm looking for.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO