lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-02-2011, 03:45 AM   #21
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZ-GO Hybrid Technology....EH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
I would think they may do something like that in the future but this was I believe a quick start to get into the market and they could use it on existing designs. Merging the Electric and Gas drivetrain would be a trick..

On another note, I have heard of some cars converted to all electric and have a small diesel generator on board exclusively for charging.
That's what most locomotives (trains) do.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-02-2011, 06:57 AM   #22
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
That's what most locomotives (trains) do.
OK, you caught me.. That was a complete brain wiff..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:00 AM   #23
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

What he meant to say was a modern locomotive uses diesel engines to turn electric generators supplying electricity to the electric traction motors driving the train wheels.

I think.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:04 AM   #24
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
What he meant to say was a modern locomotive uses diesel engines to turn electric generators supplying electricity to the electric traction motors driving the train wheels.

I think.
Wow Gorno. My brain isn't awake enough to understand what you just said... I will read it again later and I am sure I will get it then.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:05 AM   #25
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Just go slowly, it'll sink in eventualy.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:38 AM   #26
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:

I think.
You're right. No batteries involved in modern locomotives. Not sure about cars, but they probably still have batteries.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:44 AM   #27
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yes prohibitively expensive batteries.... call a Chevy dealer and ask them how much for batteries in a Volt?
Then divide that # by the price per gallon and prorate that over the # yrs they last... I'll bet there will be some of these cars dumped on the market when it's time for batteries.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:52 AM   #28
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Yes prohibitively expensive batteries.... call a Chevy dealer and ask them how much for batteries in a Volt?
Then divide that # by the price per gallon and prorate that over the # yrs they last... I'll bet there will be some of these cars dumped on the market when it's time for batteries.
I meant for the diesel/electric hybrids mentioned below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
On another note, I have heard of some cars converted to all electric and have a small diesel generator on board exclusively for charging.
He does say they're "for charging" so I'm assuming batteries, but I don't keep up with newer hybrid car technology.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:13 AM   #29
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Just go slowly, it'll sink in eventualy.
It'll eventually hit you like...well....like a freight train.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:30 PM   #30
Davemuzz
Getting Wild

Sigh.......

First.....I didn't want to sign on as a new guy and start WW-III (the even bigger one), come off as a jerk, and make a pile of unsupported nonsensical statements. So.,.if I have offended anyone, I sincerely apologize.

Second....on the "train stuff", it's true that the diesel locomotive engines power generators that in turn, power electric motors. There is more torque in electric motors than in any gas or diesel motor....and a train needs torque. Also, the brakes of a train are always set to STOP the train. So, when a train is hooking up cars, and the air hoses are filling up, what they are actually doing is expanding the brake shoe away from the drum. (If memory serves me, the drum is on the inside and the shoes are wrapped outside of it) This is done this way so if a car breaks away from the group, the brakes will auto-apply as the air runs out of the system. Simple but effective. (Kinda neat!!)

Third...Where I hunt here in Southwest Pa. we have a pile of hills. We also have mountains. When my Son brought home his future wife (she came from Michigan....which has no hills) She though we lived "in the mountains." I told my Son to take her on a 45 minute drive east to the Laural Mountains.....where real mountains were!!! My 48-V cart has 6-8-V batteries in it. Where I hunt, up and down hills, cross creeks, thru mud and across logs, ect....the best I can expect to get is about 5 miles from a charge. Any more than that and I would get very nervous about making it back.

So, for me and my circumstances, the hybrid may make a lot of sense.

Oh, and you can buy a 5.5HP 20amp portable generator at http://www.harborfreight.com/engines...tor-98452.html Harbor Freight for $350. Yeah....it's no Honda, but it will get you what you want. Now, I doubt EZ-GO is installing these on the Hybrid's, but with their buying power I'm sure it's better than the Harbor Frt units. And I'm guessing it's getting the job done as well.

FWIW

Dave
Davemuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO