lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-17-2011, 11:54 PM   #11
1badezgo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 12V auxillary outlet smoking my stuff!

Even if the polarity is wrong (+ and - reversed) it still will not short or smoke anything. What ever you plug into it just won't work if you are reading 12 volts or close to that at the plug you should be fine. You need to meter voltage at the 48v to 12v converter to eliminate it.
1badezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-18-2011, 07:24 AM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badezgo View Post
Even if the polarity is wrong (+ and - reversed) it still will not short or smoke anything...........
Not 100% true.

Most devices have an in-line diode or some type of protecting against being damaged if they are plugged into reverse polarity, but not all.
Also, lower voltage devices require the correct adapter to be plugged into a 12V lighter outlet.

Just because the little plug on the other end of a cable physically fits into the little hole on the device, doesn't mean the voltage, or polarity, is correct.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:32 AM   #13
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

I'm with the others,If you get 11.9 and its' smokin' stuff,the polarity is reversed.Electronics don't like reverse-polarity.The center is Always hot on that type plug.If the meter is reading -11.9v then its' definitely switched.Also,a lot of the electronics have a small glass-fuse inside the end of the plug where the metal-tip is,just unscrew the end of the plug.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:00 AM   #14
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachanga90 View Post
The center is Always hot on that type plug.If the meter is reading -11.9v then its' definitely switched.
they can be wired either way. diagram on the label shows polarity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg center-pin-neg.jpg (88.6 KB, 12 views)
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:39 AM   #15
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

To be more descriptive,A cigarette-lighter type receptacle is always center-hot,case-grounded(outside)This is easy to understand since if you look at most receptacles they have a metal-body that usually comes in direct contact with the mounting,which is used as its' ground when it is mounted in metal.Yes,the items themselves have polarity differences in their respective plugs at the unit,but at the 12v. receptacle it is always the same.One of my specialties at work is Custom Truck-Equipment such as Lighting,GPS-Systems,Warning-Systems,so I deal with this alot.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:24 PM   #16
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

And what is the outcome?
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 02:23 PM   #17
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You can use a test light or multimeter to test what the polarity is on the center node. Just ground the light / meter & touch the center. No need to get behind the plug.
AirJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 04:32 PM   #18
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachanga90 View Post
To be more descriptive,A cigarette-lighter type receptacle is always center-hot,case-grounded(outside)This is easy to understand since if you look at most receptacles they have a metal-body that usually comes in direct contact with the mounting,which is used as its' ground when it is mounted in metal.Yes,the items themselves have polarity differences in their respective plugs at the unit,but at the 12v. receptacle it is always the same.One of my specialties at work is Custom Truck-Equipment such as Lighting,GPS-Systems,Warning-Systems,so I deal with this alot.Hope this helps.
ahh, indeed!
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:03 AM   #19
pernellj954
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The outcome...the EZ-GO dealer wired the converter backwards on the output side! I looked under the seat where the converter is and I immediately saw it. Red wires were connected to the black coming out of the converter, and black wires (from aux) wired to the yellow. Switched it around there and my aux plug works.

I guess the headlight/tail light kit doesn't care if its backwards since they have worked fine.
pernellj954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:13 PM   #20
OutCole'd
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pernellj954 View Post
The outcome...the EZ-GO dealer wired the converter backwards on the output side! I looked under the seat where the converter is and I immediately saw it. Red wires were connected to the black coming out of the converter, and black wires (from aux) wired to the yellow. Switched it around there and my aux plug works.

I guess the headlight/tail light kit doesn't care if its backwards since they have worked fine.
Very cool, easy fix. And yes, regular lights wont matter.
OutCole'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO