lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
843Angler
Not Yet Wild

Default Simple Mods I can do for some more speed

Alright to start it off I am new to this forum, this being my first thread here. But maybe all you experts can help me out. I have a newer ezgo with the forward reverse button on the dash. I have already re wired my chip to be like the freedom chip and I have a lift with bigger tires that helped as well. I cant afford a new motor or anything like that. Is there ANYTHING I can do? I just want to get more speed. Thanks!
843Angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Simple Mods I can do for some more speed

Speed=money

You can start with cables, but with out a new controller, motor or 48v you are Maxxed out!
Coltf1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
843Angler
Not Yet Wild

Thanks man, when you say cables. Do you mean battery cables or the cables that run to the motor?
843Angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I mean all of them! Should be 10 of them. This will help torque not speed.

Amperage= torque
Voltage= speed

Coltf1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 843Angler View Post
Alright to start it off I am new to this forum, this being my first thread here. But maybe all you experts can help me out. I have a newer ezgo with the forward reverse button on the dash. I have already re wired my chip to be like the freedom chip and I have a lift with bigger tires that helped as well. I cant afford a new motor or anything like that. Is there ANYTHING I can do? I just want to get more speed. Thanks!
Welcome to BGW.

Sounds like you've got a PDS cart since the F/R switch is on the dash and it's now got a "Freedom Chip".

The stock PDS controller monitors motor RPM and limits the cart's speed to 17-19 MPH with a Freedom Chip and stock 18" tires.
Larger tires will increase speed, but puts more stress on controller, motor, cables, ETC.
Cart builders, please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe you can only go to about 22" tires without blowing up the controller, but that is iffy.
That will give you about 22MPH with good batteries and cables.

To get more speed than that, you have to go to an aftermarket controller that doesn't have the RPM limit, but you don't have much RPM headroom on a stock PDS motor, so you'll need to up-grade it too, as well as ALL the high current cables and solenoid.

Bottom line. Speed cost money and more speed means more money.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
bamaboys
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I have a question about bigger tires. Is it true bigger tires more speed??? The reason I am asking I purchased a golf cart it has 25" tires on it. It is also lifted. And I can only get around 19 mph on it. And it has a (hill chip) in it. This is the first cart ever and new to all this but I would also like more SPEED too....any suggestions??
bamaboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboys View Post
I have a question about bigger tires. Is it true bigger tires more speed??? The reason I am asking I purchased a golf cart it has 25" tires on it. It is also lifted. And I can only get around 19 mph on it. And it has a (hill chip) in it. This is the first cart ever and new to all this but I would also like more SPEED too....any suggestions??
You effectively change the final drive ratio when you change tire diameter.
Stock differential gearing on a PDS is 12.44:1, so upping the tire diameter from the stock 18" to 25", you now have approximately 8.7:1.

There are two "Hill" chips, Steep and Mild, which are RPM limited by the controller to 13-13.5 MPH and 14-14.5 MPH respectively. (See attached chart for different PDS modes)
If you are getting 19 MPH on 25" tires, you probably have the Steep Hill Chip. (See attached chart for different J-2 jumpering)

With a "Freedom" chip, you should get about 23-24 MPH, but with 25" tires, it is only a matter of time before your controller gives up the ghost.
Of course, if your high current cables and/or solenoid and/or batteries aren't capable of delivering the amps required, it won't go that fast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDS Mode speed-regen level.JPG (18.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg PDS J2 mode plugs.jpg (130.2 KB, 18 views)
Old 01-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #8
bamaboys
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks JohnnieB for the thumbnail!! I dont really know which hill chip it has. I will look later the weather here is nasty right now. Also, you mention about the cables and solenoid, is there a web site that sells upgrades for golf carts? Thanks again for the quick response!!! Bart
bamaboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #9
TreeBass
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

check out scottyb here on the forum

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/
TreeBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Just about all the Site Sponsors do.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/site-sponsors.php

Scottyb has some kits put together and maybe some of the others do.
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/
While you are there - Read everything with the word "Battery" in the title. Lots of good information.

Also, Check out the Sticky:s at the top of the Electric EZGO forum.
Here is one of them that has Owner, Service and Parts manuals for your cart. (Download the *.pdf files)
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...g-manuals.html

Be careful, building golf carts to go faster, or further, or have more torque is both addictive and expensive.
Notice I used the word "or", you'll end up with a compromise of the three.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO