lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-08-2012, 12:31 PM   #11
mkernan
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Extra battery for 48v. CC for radio???

Some food for thought - most radios allow up to 16volts input. I know a good battery is slightly more than 16. But I think I am going to run my radio off two of my 8 volt batteries. That is how I currently have my headlight working. Seem to be working fine.
mkernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-08-2012, 08:05 PM   #12
Scott H.
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapinto1 View Post
Thanks Scott,,, I think I'll go with an extra battery, probably easier,,What would you go with a full size marine battery or a smaller motorcycle battery??? Just wondering what would give me the longest run time..... Thanks
I'm going with a full size marine battery mounted in the bag well because I'm going to be running some work lights and a small winch for yard work when I'm done with the build. Basically, I'm building a smaller version of my truck to use around my property.

Honestly, your decision on what battery to use is up to you and how many accessories you're wanting to add to the cart. If it's just a radio and a small amp, the motorcycle battery should last for a few hours before needing charged. If you're wanting a longer run time than that or are planning on adding more lights and accessories, I would go with the marine battery.

One thing to note though, motorcycle batteries are just smaller versions of car batteries and are not meant for constant discharging / recharging. If you decide to go with a small battery for the long term, I would suggest one of the 12 volt mobility scooter batteries. They are on the expensive side, but they are designed like the Golf Cart batteries and can be constantly charged and discharged along with having a longer life before needing replaced.

-Scott H.
Scott H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #13
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

your really taking a chance running a radio off 16 volts, some lights will take 16 volts but i have never seen anyone get away with running a radio........always ends up in blowed up radios.....heck even some lights won,t take it they just blow and if housings are plastic they start melting...........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:14 PM   #14
Scott H.
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
your really taking a chance running a radio off 16 volts, some lights will take 16 volts but i have never seen anyone get away with running a radio........always ends up in blowed up radios.....heck even some lights won,t take it they just blow and if housings are plastic they start melting...........................
I personally wouldn't do it either, even with high end equipment. The highest I've ever seen a normal vehicle's battery voltage is right around 13.5 volts across the battery terminals.

On the same note, I've had a $500.00 Cadillac Computer burn up due to an over voltage situation caused by a bad alternator while the 10 cent fuse was still in perfect operating condition.

Since that expen$ive lesson, I don't trust any electronic equipment running on anything other than the specified voltage it was designed for.

-Scott H.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #15
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

couldn,t agree more................................
Old 02-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #16
mkernan
Getting Wild
Club Car

I agree with being cautious, but I also think that good homework goes a long way. Here are the specs for a Kenwood radio, right off their website. 16 volts is in its operating range. Now the issue is we all know 2 fully charged 8 volt batteries is slightly over 16 volts. So that would still be a concern.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg radio.jpg (160.1 KB, 10 views)
Old 02-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #17
mkernan
Getting Wild
Club Car

One other note - fuses only protect over amperage situations. Amps are a function of watts and volts, roughly watts/volts. So you could over volt with a lower watt pull and not blow the fuse, but still screw up your electronics.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:58 AM   #18
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

all i can tell you is what i have experenced but who knows someone may have seen it work out but i never have.....always ended up in the end with a non working radio so if it were me and unless it was just a 10 dollar radio and i was just farting around to see if it would work i wouldn,t power it from 16 volts there are to many things that will go wrong......lights on the other hand ok most of the time it just blows the bulb and you know right away........................
Old 02-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #19
mkernan
Getting Wild
Club Car

Well, you know if we put a 10 dollar radio in it, it will work forever. Just when we get comfortable with that and put in a 100 dollar radio, then it will blow up!
Old 02-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #20
Scott H.
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkernan View Post
Well, you know if we put a 10 dollar radio in it, it will work forever. Just when we get comfortable with that and put in a 100 dollar radio, then it will blow up!
That would be my luck!

-Scott H.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car