lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-13-2012, 08:13 AM   #1
willyjoe
Not Yet Wild

Default Spark Issue Stumped!! 96 TXT

Good morning all I have a 96 TXT with the twin cylinder robin engine and I just can't get it running, ign coil is good (tested it on a friends cart) replaced the ignitor with the HEI conversion replaced the pulsar coil yesterday however I have a suspicion that this is still the issue. When I check the readings on the pulsar they are exactly the same as the one I took off resistance is 20 OHMs with 250mV AC when cranking. Could it just be that I set the air gap incorrectly? The pulsar I took off was completly missing the metal pickup that sticks out. I set the air gap on the new one to .025, I set it with the pulsar lined up with the "gap" on the flywheel. Any ideas are greatly appreciated, I'm at about wits end with this thing!

Thanks
Joe
willyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-14-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
willyjoe
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Spark Issue Stumped!! 96 TXT

Anyone? What else should I look for? Any direction is welcome, I'm stuck like a mime in a clear box over here... Did I get defective new part?
Old 04-14-2012, 09:27 AM   #3
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Joe, I am not an expert on the 4 stroke EZGO engine so you accept or reject my advice and you won't hurt my feelings. That said I do have a mechanical aptitude and I have worked on two for friends. I can tell you from painful experience that the readings you are seeing on the pulsar are correct. I am used to the 2 stroke pulsar which ohms out at ~100 ohms so when I saw 20 ohms on my buddy's I bought a new one, only to find the new one was also 20 ohms.

So you swapped out the coil (and the spark plug leads?) and it worked, we can rule that out. You have replaced the ignitor with a HEI and still no joy. I am sure that the pulsar is good so that is the ignition taken care of. This leaves the wiring.

As a quick check connect your voltmeter to the negative of the battery and the positive of the coil, crank the engine, do you see ~12 volts? If you do then we look deeper. All carts suffer from ground issues so I would first look at that plate that holds the ignitor and the regulator. You should see several black wires, remove these and clean the studs they attach to and the cable lugs themselves. Also find the main ground point on the chassis and do the same. That might be all it takes. If not then look for a broken wire or pin connector. Take each connector apart and give it a shot of WD40. Also tug gently on each wire to see if it falls apart.

You said that you saw 250 mVolts out of the pulsar when cranking so I almost hesitate to bring this up but.............
I was working on a cart with the same symptoms and two days later I discovered that the clutch was loose on the shaft so when you cranked it everything span but the engine. Putting my thumb over a spark plug hole when cranking would have set me on the right path.

Such is life
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
willyjoe
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Dave I will check all of that out this week. I do have spark, but its weak. Also is there any way for the timing on these carts to get out of tolerance?

Thanks
Joe
Old 04-16-2012, 08:38 PM   #5
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Joe,
The pulsar is in a fixed position on your cart so the ignition timing will not slip. A weak spark could be indicative of a bad ground somewhere so good luck. Also many people have reported that swapping the polarity of the wires from the pulsar have solved a weak spark issue so that might be worth trying.
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
willyjoe
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, hopefully I will get a chance to work on it tomorrow and I will report my findings. I really do appreciate all the help!

Thanks
Joe
Old 05-17-2012, 06:06 AM   #7
kantuckian
Gone Wild

Good info
kantuckian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:33 AM   #8
pcweber
Not Yet Wild

Willyjoe, did you come to a solution? I too have weak spark on a 295 engine and would love to hear the story ending.
pcweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:03 AM   #9
Texas001
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber View Post
Willyjoe, did you come to a solution? I too have weak spark on a 295 engine and would love to hear the story ending.
They never seem to post the final results.
Texas001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:39 PM   #10
toxicwaste29
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber View Post
If a flywheel is to rusted that could also have been an issue. I would shoot him a pm so maybe it pops up in his email and he knows to log on and update the results.
toxicwaste29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air gap, pulsar, spark, txt, won't run
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO