lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
caokgafamily
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Battery post melt?

Hey guys thanks for any input,

I was cleaning & checking the water level on my 48v 2003 series Club Car and I noticed one of my post got hot/melted a little, maybe 1/8" off more of the right side of the post. Some of the lead dripped on the battery a little and mades some burn marks. The cart has 3 yr old batts, pq Bandit, FSIP 500, home made HD f&R switch (added 1/4" brass bars on back for contacts) home made welding cable batt wires 2 ot? about 3/8 thick cables, also I still have stock albright solenoid that being bumped up this weekend to a 400/1000 peak solinoid. Cart has run great other than my 25" super swampers sucking the juice! Spent good amount of time crimping cable ends, hammer type crimper with glued heat shrink. Lugs are very tight! Was working cart hard this past weekend at deer camp, stalled it out a couple of time trying to climb stuff, maybe 2 seconds on gas no move. Water level ok. Why do post melt/get hot. See pick for batt location.

THanks,
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20120808_205813.jpg (102.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20120808_205924.jpg (118.7 KB, 0 views)
caokgafamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-08-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
caokgafamily
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Battery post melt?

After reading other post: nut was clean a tight! maybe my 3 hammer points inside the closed lug are not that good? maybe I just need to buy the premium Scotty cables?
Steve
Old 08-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #3
caokgafamily
Gone Wild

Club Car

water level was 1/8" above plate in cells.
Steve
Old 08-09-2012, 10:55 AM   #4
caokgafamily
Gone Wild

Club Car

I don't have any lock washer's on these, I guess this might be a good idea? I still don't understand why it melted a little, it was clean & tight?? confused???
Steve
Old 08-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #5
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by caokgafamily View Post
I don't have any lock washer's on these, I guess this might be a good idea? I still don't understand why it melted a little, it was clean & tight?? confused???
Steve
I was advised against using lock washers as it just adds another level for corrosion to start and since the post studs are soft they don't work anyways.
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
caokgafamily
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks erict,
After reading a bunch of history that particular nut & post must have been a little loose?
Somthing else I noticed was on other 48 volt Club Cars it was the same battery location who studs melted also, center battery driver side. Strange...
Old 08-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #7
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by caokgafamily View Post
Thanks erict,
After reading a bunch of history that particular nut & post must have been a little loose?
Somthing else I noticed was on other 48 volt Club Cars it was the same battery location who studs melted also, center battery driver side. Strange...
Maybe just a coincidence. I check my nuts every month with a torque wrench set at 100 in/lb.
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #8
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Only time I've seen melted post was from bad/loose connection....
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
caokgafamily
Gone Wild

Club Car

I made my own cables for the whole cart out welding cable, I just used a hammer crimper but really made sure all the crimps are good. I also used some good glued heat srink. The lugs are the closed end and they fit over the wire perfect. A under rated solenoid wouldn't cause this issue could it?
Thanks,
Steve
Old 08-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #10
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Resistance causes heat. That's why I solder all my cables and never crimp, especially with the 500A controller that you're using. Other than that possibility, loose battery nuts are a possibility as well as the lock-washer issue. I never use them.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car