lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-22-2012, 02:06 PM   #11
Stevec3201
haveacupofshutthe****up

Club Car

Default Re: Use a voltage reducer or buy separate battery?

I have a 20 amp converter. Runs everything, never cuts out. Was a pain to configure intitially. Only problem, when I turn it off, I lose my stereo settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkbrower View Post
An auxillary battery will not require a reducer if its 12 volts. If you are talking about adding an auxillary battery to the bank of your cart batteries there are only two ways you can add a battery and both are bad. If you add the battery in series to the rest of your batteries then your voltage would go up by 12 volts. Your 48V cart is now a 60 Volt cart. If you place the battery in parallel with another 12V battery you will still have 12 volts but you doubled that battery capacity. Esentially you created a "mega" battery.
As you run your cart, your other batteries should discharge about equal but your mega battery because it is bigger discharges at a different rate. Your mega battery will charge different because of the different discharge rates than your other batteries which is bad for all the batteries.
Stevec3201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #12
8-point
Gone Fishing

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by penleyface View Post
Have a 2008 Precedent. Just installed Premium after-market light kit (with turn signal/horn, etc).

Is it better to install a voltage reducer or to install a separate 12volt battery?

And if the battery, would it handle lights and radio adequately?
Auxiliary battery…deep cycle marine in the bagwell, works very good for me.

8-point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:21 PM   #13
Brian5117
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec3201 View Post
I have a 20 amp converter. Runs everything, never cuts out. Was a pain to configure intitially. Only problem, when I turn it off, I lose my stereo settings.
Stevec, I'm assuming you connected the positive of your converter to the 36/48 hot side of your ignition switch. Just curious why you didn't connect it directly to the positive terminal of batt 1 so you can have continuous power to it, and ultimately to your stereo (I.e not lose settings and presets). If you have a switch for your lights and on/off for your stereo, I wouldn't think there would be much of a draw when they are turned off and the carts prob charging at night anyway.
Brian5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:28 AM   #14
Stevec3201
haveacupofshutthe****up

Club Car

I do have continous power to it, as it is connected to the batt pack, not key switch. The problem is, I have a master switch, next to the tow/run switch and I turn it off when I park the cart. The stereo draws amperage and so does the converter (if not turned off) and I sometimes leave the cart parked for several days.

Yes, I could just leave it on, but I choose not to for the reason above.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:06 AM   #15
Brian5117
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec3201 View Post
I do have continous power to it, as it is connected to the batt pack, not key switch. The problem is, I have a master switch, next to the tow/run switch and I turn it off when I park the cart. The stereo draws amperage and so does the converter (if not turned off) and I sometimes leave the cart parked for several days.

Yes, I could just leave it on, but I choose not to for the reason above.
Ahhh, now i understand. Glad you responded (and the original question asked) as I'm sure several of us are looking at doing exactly the same thing. I wish there was a way to keep from having to reset the stereo settings (and still be able to turn off the converter if sitting for a few days), but I guess no matter how you draw it up, if there's power going to the stereo (i.e. yellow wire for settings and pre-sets), it's going to draw on the battery unless totally killed with a switch.
Brian5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:25 PM   #16
ArmyVetSgtAdkins
Philippians 4:13

Club Car

Steve, where did you mount the converter at on the cart and where did you pickup your converter at?
ArmyVetSgtAdkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:00 PM   #17
rcdd
Gone Wild

Club Car

I took the Aux Battery in the bagwell "route".....deep cycle sealed gel......and a 4A charger mounted beside the battery.......along with a 12V meter to match the 48v meter.....

The radio, under-cart lights, GPS, phone charger, etc etc are separate and don't interfere with the 48v "factory engineered system".......And a plethora of power for tunes at the park is a bonus.....
rcdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:33 PM   #18
8-point
Gone Fishing

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdd View Post
I took the Aux Battery in the bagwell "route".....deep cycle sealed gel......and a 4A charger mounted beside the battery.......along with a 12V meter to match the 48v meter.....

The radio, under-cart lights, GPS, phone charger, etc etc are separate and don't interfere with the 48v "factory engineered system".......And a plethora of power for tunes at the park is a bonus.....
Hey I like that charger beside the battery and 12v meter idea. Going look into that. Neat system you got there.
8-point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:07 PM   #19
rcdd
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-point View Post
Hey I like that charger beside the battery and 12v meter idea. Going look into that. Neat system you got there.
If I get a chance this weekend, I'll snap some pics of the bagwell/batteries/charger......
rcdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:20 PM   #20
Stevec3201
haveacupofshutthe****up

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVetSgtAdkins View Post
Steve, where did you mount the converter at on the cart and where did you pickup your converter at?
I mounted it in the bagwell, to the bottom of my rear flip/flop seat. I put some pix on this website. Search for my past posts and you should find it.

Tags
voltage reducer
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car