lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-14-2013, 09:57 AM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: A simple reverse question for a DS Owner

Did they even have color in 1988?

Black and white diagrams are all there are for those old carts. Take a highlighter and trace out the ignition circuit on paper... that can help.
Sounds like you have it wired wrong.
B+ to key
Key to the MS
(swapping these 2 will produce your problem)
From there it depends upon which drive system you have.
5 solenoid
or resistor coil?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #12
big nd fan
Not Yet Wild

I will check the wiring. I was thinking that when I bough the micro switches from a dealer, maybe they are NC and NO. I will pull them out and check id they are right.

I have 5 solenoids with the wire resistors.

You said solenoids OR wire resistors. I have both. Is that right?
big nd fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #13
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yes, only the early ones had 5 solenoids.
Anyway you are powering your solenoid with the key.
The solenoid closest to the driver side is the master and it should fire first. All solenoids should fire one at a time with the gas peddle triggering the s MS in the peddle box.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:01 PM   #14
big nd fan
Not Yet Wild

I ordered a new F/R switch since mine was damaged by the arching. After I install it, I will check voltages and let you know what I find.

Thanks for the good info. I am finally figuring out how the circuit works.

One question. Does the motor has a forward and reverse coil or just a forward and the voltage is reversed for reverse?

Big ND Fan
Old 01-14-2013, 10:10 PM   #15
LJ12530
Gone Wild

Nothing fancy....the F/R switch just reverses the flow of current to the armature thus reversing the direction of the magnetic field of the armature.
LJ12530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:40 PM   #16
big nd fan
Not Yet Wild

I am at it again and pulling my hair out.

Just put in my new F/R switch. I took every wire loose and reconnected everything according to the diagram from the switch, micro switch on F/R Switch, Micro switches on the speed limit control (gas pedal).

I followed the hand drawn diagram (in this post) for the F/R switch and everything is hooked up the right way.

Forward works fine.

When I put it in reverse, the F/R switch has a large spark and it goes straight in reverse.

I checked all the solenoids with my meter and when the gas pedal is pressed, they turn on one at a time in forward.

----------------
Question 1.

In forward, the power goes through the F/R switch to the coil (on passenger side) then as the gas pedal is pressed more power (less resistance) goes through the last (driver side) solenoid and then to the motor.

When the F/R switch is in reverse, the black lead goes from the F/R switch straight to the motor and it goes full speed in reverse. If power goes directly to the motor, how and it be controlled through the speed limit micro switches through the gas pedal?

Either I am missing something here or I have a wire in the wrong place. Please someone end the insanity!

Big ND Fan
Old 01-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #17
big nd fan
Not Yet Wild

I was wrong, the primary solenoid is on the passenger side of the cart.

I understand the power flow in forward and it checks out with my meter. Can anyone tell me the power flow in reverse?

Does it go from the F/R switch to the motor through the solenoids to the battery? It must be a reverse sequence of event than forward.

If I knew when to begin the troubleshooting process, I think I could figure out why by cart has full reverse instead of going through the gas pedal

Thanks
Big ND Fan
Old 01-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #18
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Something is not wired correctly. Two things I want to clear up. One is the master solenoid is on the drivers side not the passenger side of the cart. Two the hand drawn diagram is for a resistor coil cart not a 5 solenoid drive cart.
Your solution may be as simple as getting the correct diagram from the stickies

Sorry this problem has been plaguing you for so long. It is really hard for us to know what is wrong unless somebody who has seen this problem before reads this. I have not seen this before. Another idea would be for you to post pictures of your wiring so we can see what you have going on, that would help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CC 5 solenoid (2).jpg (73.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg CC 5 solenoid.jpg (187.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg CC-HD-F&R-48v-all.jpg (148.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #19
big nd fan
Not Yet Wild

I have pictures of my switch, motor and solenoids but having problems uploading them. As soon as I figure it out, I will post.

Last edited by big nd fan; 01-20-2013 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: Cany upload pictures
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car