lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #1
langted
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Why did 295cc seize?

I inherited a repair on my son's EZ with 295cc robin. I think its about a 2004 in "average" condition, bought early in the Summer. I Went to his seasonal campground end of last Summer, drove the EZ about an hour-- starting stopping and just looking around. Drove another 200 yards to ice cream stand. stopped 15 minutes. Drove back slow 200 yards eating ice-cream. Everything absolutely normal, no noise, no smoke. Came back out 2 hours later and engine was seized so tight it can't be budged with a 14 inch crescent wrench (on 3/4 inch bolt threaded into clutch end. ) The oil was a little low on stick. Just about at lower mark.

So I told him I'd fix it and I now have the engine on my bench. Any thoughts on cause? Is this common?
langted is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-08-2013, 09:04 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Why did 295cc seize?

Chances are one of the rods has seized to the crank due to low oil pressure because of low oil or a plugged filter. Did it have a working low oil pressure light ?

The fairly good news is you can usually polish the crank, intall a new rod to replace the bad one and see what else it needs..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:43 PM   #3
langted
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks. This engine had no filter and no low oil pressure sender, hence no light. Oil was on the dipstick-- low, but on the mark. I checked that before and after I used it. Still it is appearing you are right, so far.

I just spent time since last post and found pistons in about mid position. cylinder walls look great-completely smooth, no ridges at all, can still see original honing a little. Pistons can be wiggled just noticeably in the bore with hard thumb pressure. cam lobes look perfect, but there are slight wear ridges on the engine clutch-side end of the camshaft bearing. I do not have the cases apart yet. Hence the next question.

In removing the large fan nut, the crankshaft moved, but not easy at all. Enough resistance that it helped get the nut off. I then took out the crankcase fan-end cover bolts, but the cover does not want to come off easily. I don't want to force it if there is something else I need to remove first to release it. It moves just enough that residual oil came out at the bottom of the gasket.

Do I just pry/tap it a little harder at this point? Oil pump and cam drive are still in place.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:50 PM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

To be honest, I don't know how much resistance to remove the case should be there. I have seen them apart but was not there when it was split. Chances are the flywheel side piston is the one that seized. And no filter ? What was in the hole ?
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:18 PM   #5
langted
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Well shiver-me-timbers!!! There IS a filter screen under the triangular plate! (Shows you what I know about this engine.) Had I known, I would have examined it. Its encouraging--no metal particles at all. Just a little brown matter covering maybe 5% or less of the filter. Also can see inside the case through the hole. Looks clean. I will continue tomorrow.

Thanks again.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:57 PM   #6
MarineGrunt
Getting Wild

I'm in the process of rebuilding a 295 also, although, it's a 1993. Not sure of the differences if any. As long as you have the bolts off I believe the fan should just come off. If I remember right, assuming they're the same, I had to wiggle the fan a little because there was some dried dirt buildup causing it to kind of stick. Maybe check to make sure there isn't a key in a keyway. I can't recall if there was. I still have mine apart so can take a closer look tomorrow if you still need some help.

I just starting reassembly, so if you have any other questions, I can still look at the parts that I have off in order to help out where I can. This is my first golf cart engine rebuild too. Once you have it all apart you'll realize there's not a whole lot to them. I hit a few small snags but nothing too difficult to figure out.
MarineGrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:27 AM   #7
langted
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks, but the fan came off fine. The aluminum crankcase side cover that supports the fan end of the crank is the problem.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:14 AM   #8
MarineGrunt
Getting Wild

The one I'm working on doesn't have an aluminum piece but does have a steel round piece that's behind the fan. It's about as big a round as a coffee cup saucer. Are we talking about a similar piece? If so, and if I remember right, my did have a key that I had to pull out of a keyway first. It's half moon shaped and I had to take a very small screwdriver and a hammer and lightly tap it to roll it out of the key out of the keyway.

Do you have a rebuild manual? You can download one for free online. Maybe it will explain exactly what you have to do on your year model.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:04 PM   #9
MarineGrunt
Getting Wild

My bad on the above post. You can't remove the key without removing the fan hub first. I used a 3 jaw puller to take mine off because it was quite snug. You could try lightly tapping on it with a rubber mallet. Since yours is aluminum be extra careful. The one I'm working on has a steel hub so I could be a little rougher. I do remember it being pretty tight on there.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #10
RSP
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Make sure the cover comes off straight, pry both sides ata the same time then tap on the end of the crank with a block of wood and a hammer, it will come off
RSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO