lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-01-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
dkerkman
Not Yet Wild

Default 85 marathon, shutters

I just bought a 1985 marathon late last year. The cart didn't run well but after a tune up seems to run good. It does kind of shutter or vibrate a little when driving it, I am attaching a few pictures of the driven clutch. I am assuming this is the issue :) was like this when I got it but because of the price I was hoping someone could tell me if they agree. Also would driving it like this cause other damage?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ubt6mlv5ps...2018.50.55.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r4dwzlzqhe...2018.50.49.jpg

Thanks.
dkerkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-02-2013, 02:27 AM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 85 marathon, shutters

WOW ... Just WOW .... "Shudder and Vibrate" huh ?!?

Do Over
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:44 AM   #3
racin161
Gone Wild

Brew I don't think that's the answer he was looking for Ok everyone is new at a point but to answer your question YEP you've located you problem. As BREW said WOW!!! The driven clutch is wrecked and needs to be replaced. At any point driving it that way it's going to destroy the belt if it's not gone yet,trash the pinion bearing in the rearend,and kill the motor mounts. Oh and maybe even put a real good killing on the engine crank bearings form the vibration. Can you drive it this way??? Your cheap cart is going to cost a ton of $$$$ to repair. Go for a new driven clutch an belt and you should be good to go. Welcome to BGW

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:23 AM   #4
frodrummer
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I had the same issue with my clutch. Some doofus (ME) snagged the clutch on the end of my trailer as he was loading it. Talk about shooting myself in the foot. It bent the pulley inward (opposite of your bend, and not as extreme). I removed the clutch, tore it down, heated up the bent area, and sllloowwwly tapped it and massaged it back into place. I then mounted it to my hammer drill using a little backwoods handywork, and spun it at relatively high rpm to check for wobble. After a little fine tuning, smooth as glass. Just my experience though. Yours looks to be a bit more work than mine. Not sure if you will recover from a wobble like that.
frodrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:49 AM   #5
dkerkman
Not Yet Wild

k sounds good :) thanks for the info. I didn't know how much noise / vibration is normal but this seemed excessive.

I was looking at buying a new Driven Clutch off ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EZGO-Golf-Ca...item3a6b0d5d1b
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EZGO-Gas-Gol...dd3737&vxp=mtr

Looks like I can get one for around $200.00 then ill get a new belt. Thanks for the help.
dkerkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO