lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-07-2014, 02:51 PM   #1
lhb
Not Yet Wild

Default 96 ezgo gas increasing amounts of blue smoke

I was hosed pretty good on my first cart purchase. oil was real dirty and I overfilled it when I changed it. started smoking a little. I drained oil and put in 1/1/2 quarts. smoking more and more. have tried to run it a lot to burn out muffler oil but getting worse not better. I have read on the forum about oil breather lines, carb diaphrams etc. is there a break down of the engine somewhere so I can even find the oil breather line etc. I plan on changing plugs, checking compression, and probably just staring at it a lot cause I don't know what I am doing. thanks, lloyd
lhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-07-2014, 05:25 PM   #2
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 96 ezgo gas increasing amounts of blue smoke

This is the section that has the service guides where you can see the break down of your engine:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/ezgo-...iagram-id.html
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:35 PM   #3
lhb
Not Yet Wild

thanks, forgot to mention mine is a '96 these manuals seem to start at 2002.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:16 PM   #4
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Mines a 97 and most of the information is the same or you can use it as a guide to sort it out. If the engine is a EH35 or EH29 then its the same break down.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:29 PM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Sounds like someone dumped some Goo in the engine to sell the cart with minimal smoking and now the valve guides are acting like they're supposed to - shot. On the upside, all is not lost, it'll be a fogger, yes - but it can still run for several years that way.

Adjust the valves (per the manual listed above) - .004 is accepted widely but others will differ, either way that's a great place to start with a smoker. If it's driving You nuts after all seems lost, CT Rebuilds (PM for info) can sell You a rebuilt engine with full warranty for under $600. FWIW, I'm not kidding - You're not losing a ton of power with bad guides, just smoking. You'll want due diligence of course when it comes to inspecting for leaks, hose issues, gaskets, etc - but generally at that age the 295's are just in need of a refresh/replacement. The good news is it's an easy swap, and it's no longer a $1500 ordeal.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:47 PM   #6
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Brew is right....... My 350 smoked a little for a long time until it threw a con rod and cracked the block. I got the kit and had the block repaired. Runs like new now! And I got the satisfaction of doing the rebuild myself. It really gave me a new appreciation and understanding of the operation of the Robin engine. Good luck
Old 10-08-2014, 06:50 AM   #7
lhb
Not Yet Wild

thanks guys! have not yet figured out how to PM you Mr Brew for the rebuild info. hopefully I will not need it! I will know more after the weekend. thanks again. lloyd
Old 10-27-2014, 09:57 AM   #8
lhb
Not Yet Wild

reporting on my blue smoke problem. I added a small amount of ring sealer to the oil, "Sea Foam" gas treatment to the gas, changed plugs and air filter. I then dripped a small amount of the Sea Foam onto the air filter while running with drive belt off. smoked like crazy! the instructions said it would burn out carbon, clean carb etc. engine very quiet now with no smell/smoke Wife is happy- I am happy. on to the next project. thanks for all your input!
Old 10-27-2014, 04:43 PM   #9
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Good deal.... Still adjust the valves.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:30 PM   #10
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Fixed with a little bit of Sea Foam sounds like it wasn't such a bad deal after all.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO