lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-10-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
bigbear1504
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 87 cc wont go solenoids dont click

I have a modified 87 cc. im running 5 12volt batterys. a friend was driving it the other day & said he backed out of the garage and it wouldnt go forward. So i put it on jack stands checked the batterys they are all good checked my wiring its all ok when i checked the voltage at the main solenoid it read 0 untill i put it in reverse it then read 37+ volts but none of the solenoids click. No clue what the prob is it is really frustrating me. I also checked the small posts on the solenoids witth the negative hooked to #5 battery negative touched positive to small post voltage was normal 37+ volts then hooked positive lead of voltmeter to positive #1 batt and touched negative to other small post on solenoid and it was only 24volts?
bigbear1504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-10-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 87 cc wont go solenoids dont click

Let me confirm what you posted, as a stock 1987 CC came as 36 volts with a silver or white speed pedal control box with red ends and 5 micro swiches inside, 5 solenoids and 4 large coil resistors? Any voltage above 36 volts with resistors and without proper voltage solenoids will destroy itself fast?
#1 You are running on 5-12volt batterys ( 6 fill holes on each batterys ) which if in series is 70 volts is this correct?
#2 What is pack voltage across all batterys ( from ground end to plus end is pack voltage ) 36-48-70-???
#3 Are you running this cart with 5 solenoids and 4 large coil resistors correct??
#4 Is cart using white or silver pedal speed control box with red ends and 5 micros inside is this correct?
#5 Can you take some pictures of pedal speed control, solenoids,large coil resistors and F&R switch so we can have some idea of what you have? Often we find that old a cart has been messed with to the point of having many mixed year parts or some hokey made controlling that does damage to motor and all controls.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
bigbear1504
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yes 5 12 volt batterys that equal 60 volts
white speed control box with red end caps
Voltage across battery pack is 62volts.
I have 2 sets of 5 solenoids(equaling 10) with speed resistors on each set to split the voltage between the two sets of solenoids. i built this cart myself and have had it this way for almost three years. I have burned up some solenoids and wiring in the begining trying to figure out how to wire it correctly to handle the voltage but once i figured it out havent had a problem since that was almost three now. Other than your obvious replacing twelve volt batterys because they dont hold up as well as 6 volt. I will post what pics i have but not sure how to post them other than to my profile. I will get more pics up asap.
Hope this helps.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:55 PM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

glad you made it here, if it can be figured out someone here will...............
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:19 PM   #5
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks for the clarification as my old brain said 70v when it is really 60v for some reason? I assume you have one pedal speed micro control set up to turn on both banks of 5 solenoids and 4 resistors in sequence as pedal is depressed, and if so what voltage are you running to the pedal control micros and solenoid small terminals?
On your F&R control are you using stock 36 volt unit with a single micro on back for neutral, and have you upgraded to a heavy duty set of contacts?
I would love to see a wiring diagram of how your final build was done.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:54 AM   #6
bigbear1504
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yes im running 36volts to the one pedal speed controller micros and the small terminals on the solenoids. thtas the weird part tho when i test those with my voltmeter i hooked the negative of voltmeter to neg.#6 batt (#5 ill call it 6 just to make it easy lol) and touch the positive to the small terminal on the solenoid i get 36 volts. okoh reverse that & hook positive to #1 battery and touch neg. to other small terminal i get 24volts?
No i havent upgraded to anything heavy duty yet other than wiring.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:58 AM   #7
bigbear1504
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

im going to try and get pics for you today how do i post them? or should i just post them on my profile page?
Old 05-11-2011, 09:01 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear1504 View Post
Yes 5 12 volt batterys that equal 60 volts
white speed control box with red end caps
Voltage across battery pack is 62volts.
I have 2 sets of 5 solenoids(equaling 10) with speed resistors on each set to split the voltage between the two sets of solenoids. i built this cart myself and have had it this way for almost three years. I have burned up some solenoids and wiring in the begining trying to figure out how to wire it correctly to handle the voltage but once i figured it out havent had a problem since that was almost three now. Other than your obvious replacing twelve volt batterys because they dont hold up as well as 6 volt. I will post what pics i have but not sure how to post them other than to my profile. I will get more pics up asap.
Hope this helps.
You have basically built your own speed control system. We need a diagram to begin to follow along if we are to help?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:12 AM   #9
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

When you hook digital meter postive to battery #1 and negative to the other small terminal on solenoid you are "including the windings inside solenoid with power to close contacts" so you would see a drop in voltage. The other way around you are only checking voltage to solenoid without coil windings so its 36 volts.
I wonder by having 36 volts going to one micro and then a pair of solenoids you will be pulling voltage down pretty low as you will always have 4 solenoids closed at a time? ( once pedal is pressed you will have 2 main power solenoids and 2 speed selection solenoids all at once? )
Old 05-11-2011, 03:55 PM   #10
bigbear1504
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

i uploaded pics of my solenoids and center council & f/r switch to my profile if that helps. i have more pics just let me know what u need to c.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car