lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-23-2011, 09:16 AM   #1
Bear72
Not Yet Wild

Default Wiring a Club Car for lights

Just bought my first electric club car a 2006 Precedent and need to wire a simple set of headlights, I am sure it is on this forum someplace could someone point me in the right directions please???? Wiring doesnt confuse me as much as looking at 4 batteries
Bear72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-23-2011, 09:34 AM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: Wiring a Club Car for lights

welcome to BGW......i take it you have four 12 volt batts in it? if so very simple.........mount your lights and mount your switch than run your hotwires from lights to switch and run your light grounds...( tie them togather somewhere) so your running 1 ground wire back to batteries run your hotwire from switch back to batteries and conncect to pos on battery and connect ground to neg of same battery......theres your 12 volts.............remember an elec. cart you never ever run any ground to anywhere other than a battery........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:07 PM   #3
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

The OEM style light kit powers off of the 4th battery in the pack on a 4x12v precedent. That means the battery on the front passenger side. It probably has a blue wire dangling off of the positive post - that's used when wiring the oem light kit. If you are running your own lights, you can run positive and negative leads to that battery. You probably want to use an inline fuse by the way. Just keep in mind, when running your lights, you will always be pulling more load on that battery than any of the others, which will weaken that battery sooner than the rest and, over time, will put more strain on the entire pack.

With all that said, I have my lights and my stereo wired to that battery. But it just doesn't last long enough for us and I know I'm straining that battery. So, I'm going to rewire it to a separate, dedicated battery.
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

red thats why i gave him simple directions i figure it must not have lights if he wants to wire a simple set to it......but the cart should have the harness if hes interested..............................
Old 06-23-2011, 03:45 PM   #5
Bear72
Not Yet Wild

Thank you all for the help I appreciate it!!!
Old 06-24-2011, 11:49 AM   #6
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
red thats why i gave him simple directions i figure it must not have lights if he wants to wire a simple set to it......but the cart should have the harness if hes interested..............................
I don't think I said anything that contradicts what you told him shadow. I just pointed out which battery normally gets used for 12v if/when you use the oem style kit and recommended he put a fuse in his wiring. Wasn't trying to imply that he use the harness if he isn't installing lights that account for it.

Sorry if I said anything that confused the OP.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:22 PM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

no no no not at all, i just figured he if he wanted just a simple intstall can,t more simlar than me...........lol.............but if there is a harness for light hook up might even be easier to use it......no offence my friend.............
Old 06-27-2011, 03:15 PM   #8
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

None taken. I probably wouldn't suggest using the harness unless you have the light kit made to fit it.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:40 AM   #9
Bear72
Not Yet Wild

Thank you all for the response, it has been wonderfull!!!!Midwest thanks for the calls....the assistance has been appreciated and i have bookmarked this wonderfull resource for the future

Thanks Again
Bob
Old 07-04-2011, 09:48 PM   #10
Bear72
Not Yet Wild

Everything went fine, worked well till i turned lights on and power and lights went down to nothing..let up on accelerator and lights were good...what did i screw up????
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car