lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-15-2011, 08:26 AM   #1
nick731
Getting Wild

Default REVISED: precedent cart with jakes lift tire/wheel question

ok mates here is the deal. i have a 2006 precedent cart with 6" Jake lift. I am wanting to put 14" wheels with 23X10X14 tires. The person selling the wheel/tires said they will fit but suggested upgradeing spring becasue i have rear seat/passengers. I called Jakes and they said they dont recomend bigger than 12" wheels with 23X10.5X12 tires. Will they indeed fot or not? and if not, is the suspension upgrade reall necasarry? thanks!
nick731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-15-2011, 08:55 AM   #2
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Default Re: REVISED: precedent cart with jakes lift tire/wheel question

It would be tight, at best. And they may fit with nobody on the cart and then rub with even one adult sitting on it. I have the exact same cart and lift kit and I did not upgrade my rear springs. We haven't had any rubbing issues with 4 people on the cart but it comes very close. And I have the 12" wheels and 23" tires as you noted. If I had to guess, I would say it'll be too tight for what you want to do.
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:59 AM   #3
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

I just reread and realized you overall tire height is still only 23". And you aren't going any wider than what I have, so if mine fits, yours should.

As far as the spring upgrade, it's a tough call. I decided to try mine without and it seems to be okay, but the best time to do the upgrade is when you have everything taken apart to do the lift kit install.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:20 AM   #4
nick731
Getting Wild

thanks do you know why jake would seem to think that a 23 inch tires and 12 inch wheels would work while a 23 inch tires in a 14 inch will would not ?
nick731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:52 AM   #5
rxp-rider
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It might be ride quality. With the 12" rim you have more side wall on the tire,which should soften up ride.The smaller side wall on the 14"s might have a stiffer ride. They should still fit though,and I would change the rear springs to HD anyway .
rxp-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:45 PM   #6
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick731 View Post
thanks do you know why jake would seem to think that a 23 inch tires and 12 inch wheels would work while a 23 inch tires in a 14 inch will would not ?
I don't know. Can you go back to them and ask for specifics? I know there has to be a certain amount of clearance (offset) so the rims won't impact or rub against the suspension parts but that shouldn't be the issue here. It doesn't matter how tall the rims are if the tire height is the same and the width is the same or less. As previously posted, it will probably be a stiffer ride because of having more rim and less tire but that is not a technical reason to tell you no.

What I read says that Jake's recommends 22" tires with the 6" lift, but I have 23's and so do many others. Not a lot of clearance left but enough, even with 4 passengers. And upgrading the rear springs can help with that if needed.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car