lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-02-2011, 09:17 AM   #11
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Default Re: Will #2 cables pass thru the obc

On many threads here at BGW members stated they could only get #4 through their OBC's. I personally know that the cables I used barely and I mean barely passed through my OBC. With Tom and Kelly stating that they had success with #2 through their OBC's it must be the thickness of the wiring as well as the coating used. One member stated they couldn't even get #4 through their OBC in another thread. I know that ScottyB makes cable sets using both #4 and #2 and what he uses it top notch. It would be good to know if his #2 could pass through an OBC for future buyers out there.
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-02-2011, 09:32 AM   #12
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

i think you nailed it with cable coating thickness ect,.....................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:17 AM   #13
DBlom
Not Yet Wild

ForBruce: another alternative that allows you to use as large cables as you want to go (I re-wired my cart with 2/00 cable) is to simply go around the OBC - retain the smaller cable thru the OBC (must have some current flowing thru OBC hole), but put your larger one in parallel with this cable and just go around the OBC - works like a champ and still allows cables as large as 2/00 in the application.
DBlom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:35 AM   #14
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubabud View Post
On many threads here at BGW members stated they could only get #4 through their OBC's. I personally know that the cables I used barely and I mean barely passed through my OBC. With Tom and Kelly stating that they had success with #2 through their OBC's it must be the thickness of the wiring as well as the coating used. One member stated they couldn't even get #4 through their OBC in another thread. I know that ScottyB makes cable sets using both #4 and #2 and what he uses it top notch. It would be good to know if his #2 could pass through an OBC for future buyers out there.

The only OBCs I have here are good ones so they have the cable going through them... hard to get an accurate measurement on the hole.

The 4g cable I use is 0.3380
The 2g cable I use is 0.4220

I cut the end off and removed the stock cable from a new OBC. With a little 'Tire Magic' on the cable it slides right through the OBC hole like it was made for it. So there is the answer the OBC hole is darn close to 0.4220
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:50 AM   #15
scubabud

Club Car

The OBC measures all current flowing and determines the best amount of charge to put back into the batteries. Bypassing it does work with the exception that it's readings will not be a true indication of battery usage. By Scotty stating that his #2 cables WILL FIT through an OBC, (with a little lube,) that would be the best way to go, keeping the OBC doing it's intended job
Old 08-02-2011, 10:55 AM   #16
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I think you are right on this scubabud.
I totally understand that the computer can not replenish the battery pack properly with only a partial reading on the amperage drawn out of the pack.

Glad I could help.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:12 AM   #17
scubabud

Club Car

Thanks for your quick response and help Scotty
Old 08-02-2011, 12:06 PM   #18
olecountryboy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I couldn't pass #4 welding wire thru my 99 DS OBC, had to get a piece of #4 starter wire with a thinner outer shieth.
olecountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:05 PM   #19
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Welcome to bgw

I couldn't do it either until I put some 'tire shine' on the jacket, then it slid through just fine.
I'm using 600 strand #2 gauge premium welders cable in neoprene jacket.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:47 PM   #20
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubabud View Post
The OBC measures all current flowing and determines the best amount of charge to put back into the batteries. Bypassing it does work with the exception that it's readings will not be a true indication of battery usage. By Scotty stating that his #2 cables WILL FIT through an OBC, (with a little lube,) that would be the best way to go, keeping the OBC doing it's intended job
Here is information about the OBC from a 2006-2007 Precedent SERVICE manual:

• Onboard Computer (OBC): The OBC, 1) monitors battery condition, 2) monitors the number of
energy units used by the vehicle, 3) determines the number of energy units required to recharge the
batteries and shuts the charger off when this number is reached, 4) determines when to activate regenerative
motor braking, 5) locks out vehicle movement while the charger is plugged into the vehicle
charger receptacle, 6) stores operating data, which can be read by the Communication Display Module
(CDM). See Communication Display Module (CDM) on page 11-38.

So one wire through the OBC hole is the proper way to go
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car