lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-05-2011, 09:23 PM   #1
russb442
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default 2001 club car with OBC

OK so i bought the club car as i talked about early. 2001 48v w/OBC lifted, large tires very clean body. however the batteries where shot. i was about to exchange the 6 volt that i bought from Sam's for 8 volt. when i replace the batteries i decided to swap out the wire with 2ga. I was unfamiliar with the OBC and how it works. while using 2ga wire, it would not fit in the whole of the OBC. So i ran the wire around the OBC. now the cart wont move. i tried to reset it using instructions on this site.i can here the solenoid click but nothing happens. cant charge batteries because of OBC. i may have screwed up the obc, i attempted to splice some wires to by pass the obc to get it to work and sparks flew.( i know dumb)

with that said i would like to do away with the obc: 1st 2ga wire will not fit in hole unless it was drilled out: i probably fried it and possibly the speed control. this would give me the opportunity to upgrade to 500 amp controller, but do i need to keep the OBC? seems like allot of the Parts operate work off this set up.

1. so how you all get around upgrading to bigger wire?
2.would an after market controller do away with this?
3. would i need a new charger?
4. could i just run two negative wires to the controller 6ga in the O and say a 2-4 ga on the outside?
5 i plane to upgrade the motor one day

i am trying to keep cost around $600 tops for now.

lastly the cart will be used around the camp and my 15 acres. and to smoke my brother 36 volt.

im bringing it to the local golf cart shop that does custom work tomorrow and get estimates.

but please give me some input. thanks in advance.
russb442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-05-2011, 11:25 PM   #2
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2001 club car with OBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by russb442 View Post
1. so how you all get around upgrading to bigger wire?
2.would an after market controller do away with this?
3. would i need a new charger?
4. could i just run two negative wires to the controller 6ga in the O and say a 2-4 ga on the outside?
5 i plane to upgrade the motor one day
1. 4awg will fit. you can use threaded rod for larger awg.
2. aftermarket charger? yes
3. umm, yes
4. this is not ideal
5. ok

On-Board Solutions makes a nice 48V charger that retails for around $250. Delta-Q QUIQ is a good one for $450.
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:56 AM   #3
russb442
Gone Wild
Club Car

ahhhh the treaded rod maks sence.

should i use cooper threaded rod ?

if i buy a bigger contoller will the exsisting harness work or will the entire cart need to be rewired?

if i decide to keep the OBC will it work with a heavy duty controller?

sory for dumb question, just knew to golf carts and trying to learn.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:05 AM   #4
russb442
Gone Wild
Club Car

ahhhh the treaded rod maks sence.

should i use cooper threaded rod ?

if i buy a bigger contoller will the exsisting harness work or will the entire cart need to be rewired?

if i decide to keep the OBC will it work with a heavy duty controller?

sory for dumb question, just knew to golf carts and trying to learn.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:53 AM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

the sparks flying is never a good thing.......you need to run the cable thur the OBC or a threaded rod as mentioned or leave the 6 gage cable thats there already leave it there and run a cable around the OBC and hook both up.......if you want to get rid of the OBC you,ll need an aftermarket charger and you,ll need to do some bypassing.............the setup right now will work with a bigger controller............i would get it running now as cheap as you can and make sure its ok before dumping cash into it cause as i said sparks are never a good thing...................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car