lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #1
kg21fan
Not Yet Wild

Default 90's Club Car Constant charging.

I have a 90's club car not sure of the exact year but could find it if pressed. The problem is here recently it constantly charges and the batteries get EXTREMELY hot. Nervous about plugging it in until i can get this resolved any suggestions?
kg21fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-10-2011, 09:23 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: 90's Club Car Constant charging.

welcome to BGW well start with batteries and cables......load test batteries and clean tighten battery cables..............you don,t menyion how old batteries are or what condition they are in but they need distilled water to above the plates in them and you want to know the voltage and if they hold a load..........heat in most cases is from loose dirty connections but if batteries are bad charger could be getting hot trying to charge batteries that arn,t any good..............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:46 PM   #3
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
welcome to BGW well start with batteries and cables......load test batteries and clean tighten battery cables..............you don,t menyion how old batteries are or what condition they are in but they need distilled water to above the plates in them and you want to know the voltage and if they hold a load..........heat in most cases is from loose dirty connections but if batteries are bad charger could be getting hot trying to charge batteries that arn,t any good..............................
Just out of curiosity, doesn't the charger normally get very warm when charging batteries?
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:12 AM   #4
v_dub1968
Not Yet Wild

Im no expert but I recently had the same problem with one of my carts and I tested the batteries and found a bad cell in one of the batteries. I just replaced that battery with one I had lyeing around since its just a farm clunker and it charges fine now.
v_dub1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:54 PM   #5
kg21fan
Not Yet Wild

The batteries are in fine condition around a year old. Although I clean my cables once a week it never seems to be enough and they always seem to be in poor condition. I took off and cleaned each cable and checked the batteries to no avail. I have been having problems with battery life for some time though through a couple sets of batteries and wonder if it could be a faltering charger or OBC?
Old 09-11-2011, 07:33 PM   #6
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

is it a 48 volt cart? round 3 pin plug or square 2 spade plug? how many water fill holes per battery?..................................
Old 09-11-2011, 09:46 PM   #7
kg21fan
Not Yet Wild

Yes it is set up 8X6 48v cart round 3 prong plug in with 4 water holes per battery.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:32 AM   #8
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

ok have you load tested the batteries? it only takes one to have this happen and even new batteries you can have one go bad we see it all the time.......theres no other reason that i can think of and yes some chargers do get quite warm.....now i have 3 chargers and none of them get warm at all but i have used many that got pretty warm almost hot.......if you havn,t you need to load test the batteries................how old are cables? they also will build up resistance and get charger hot..................................
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car