lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-24-2011, 09:55 PM   #1
bollie
Not Yet Wild

Question Resetting OBC problem

I have a 2008 DS with new Trojan 1275 batteries and live in Australia.
As I didnt get a Powerdrive charger when I bought cart I bought a LVS Golf Cart charger from the US (LVS-4825A) and have it attached to a 240v to 110V 1500VA transformer to match the charger input requirements.

I have used the cart and it performs fine, but runs flat after approx 6 hours running even though charger is on most of the time.

My research indicated I might need to reset the OBC, which I have tried to do according to the instructions on this site, however when I do this the reverse buzzer doesnt go off so I pesume the OBC is not resetting.

Any advice would be much appreciated
bollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-24-2011, 11:02 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Resetting OBC problem

A full charge should net about 1.5 hours of actual peddle time.
Full charge should read 50.9 volts.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:15 PM   #3
delagem
Gone Wild

Club Car

Bollie, what do you mean it "runs flat" after 6 hours running? Do you mean you drive the cart for 6 hours? Or the charger ammeter goes to zero after 6 hours of charging?

If your charger supplied from LVS is anything like my charger from LVS, it doesn't use the OBC at all, it has its own microprocessor that watches voltage, and turns itself off.

I don't remember the model number of my charger, but here's a picture of it...

delagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:27 PM   #4
bollie
Not Yet Wild

OK Thanks for the replies, heres more info
My LVS charger has no gauges only one led that is supposed to show yellow when charging and green when charged. When the buggy went flat it the on dash warning light did not come on, the buggy just went slower and slower till nothing. I had used it for one round of golf and bits and pieces of running around my property over one hour.
When I put it on charge the LED flashed yellow which I assumed to indicate charging. I left it overnight and this morning no LEDs were showing at all. As I dont have any battery testing equipment I dont know whether my batteries are charged or not and if they are how long they will last as in-dash warning light is not coming on.
I have ordered a battery metre from Scotty on this site, I hope this will help.
I have tried emailing LVS but they will not reply.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:52 PM   #5
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Welcome to BGW! I have the same charger and it workes very well. It might be a case where you ran them too low for the charger to start? You should not drive the cart until the battery light comes on everytime. The cart should also be charged after every use until the charger shuts down. Have you used this charger before and it works fine? With this automatic charger, you need to bypass the OBC all togather. It is just a simple 1 wire splice from the 10G (from the charger recpticle) wire before it goes into the OBC then connect it to the main - on the # 4 battery. Those batteries if orginal are probabbly shot! Most of those Trojan 12v's only lasted 2-3 years. Try to charge each battery on a 12V car battery charger if you have one. Don't have to disconnect them, just do them 1 at a time in the cart.
Colbyntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:35 PM   #6
bollie
Not Yet Wild

Batteries are brand new. No I havn`t used the charger sucessfully as I havn't had a steady green light on the charger yet. Am going downtown to buy a multi metre before I do anything else any suggestions on what I should buy?
Old 09-25-2011, 08:47 PM   #7
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Did you bypass the OBC? This must be done with this charger! Be sure to flip the tow/run switch to tow and remove the main Neg from the battery before you do anything. You just need about 3 feet (1 meter) of 10 Ga wire and a ring end terminal to go on the main neg battery post. You don't even have to cut into the wire before the OBC as you can use a 10ga wire splicer. These should all be in stock at an auto store.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf OBC Bypass.pdf (551.9 KB, 21 views)
Old 09-25-2011, 09:14 PM   #8
bollie
Not Yet Wild

Hi Colby,
Thanks mate for your help I'm off to buy the bits and pieces and will post results. Thanks again you've been a great help'
Mark
Old 09-25-2011, 09:25 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

As for a multimeter you just need one that will read 50-65 volts DC usually meters have 2 ranges 20v and 200VDC this along with a couple other functions like continuity testing is all you need.

The Digital Volt Meter for your cart is on it's way
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:40 PM   #10
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollie View Post
Hi Colby,
Thanks mate for your help I'm off to buy the bits and pieces and will post results. Thanks again you've been a great help'
Mark
No problem! I have always wanted to go to Australia! My 2 oldest kids, 12 & 14 just got envited to go on a school trip there but its $7000.00 per kid!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car