lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-19-2011, 08:06 AM   #1
paulb
Not Yet Wild

Default 96 CC won't back up

'96 CC, s/n A9642-537126 usually won't back up. Cart goes forward 99% of the time okay.

FNR switch is a lever type.

Key OFF , crawl part way underneath and press accelerator: there is a faint 'click' from the vicinity of the accelerator.

Key ON, FWD or REV, press accelerator, there is a very distinct 'click' or 'clunk' from a solenoid (can't tell where it is coming from but it seems to be behind the driver). I hear the same sound when the accelerator is released.

FWD: The accelerator usually functions as one would expect. There have been two occasions when I got the 'clunk' but no movement. Each time cycled the switch FWD to N to FWD and then cart was okay.

REV: Press accelerator, get 'clunk' but no movement. Release accelerator and get 'clunk' again. Rarely, as the accelerator is being pressed or released, the cart will lurch - barely. Also, a few times after disturbing wires at the FNR switch, the cart has backed up; typically 3 or 4 feet, one time about 30 feet until I released the accelerator.

All wiring connections are tight. The bayonet connections on the FNR switch appear in good condition. (One time after removing them to check for corrosion and replacing them, I got the cart to back up slightly. Could not duplicate.

FWIW, there is a small rectangular 'idiot light' (red, I think) on the dash; I have never seen it illuminate.

I do not have a wiring diagram (is one available online?) and so am at a loss to understand how to start troubleshooting.

Reading other posts it seems there may, or may not, be an onboard computer (OC). If there is, I don't see or recognize anything that might be an OC.

Any and all help is much appreciated!
paulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-19-2011, 08:11 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 96 CC won't back up

Start by checking the reverse micro for consistent function. They only cost a few dollars, maybe even throw in a new one.
If that doesn't fix your problem you may have a worn contact within the F&R, in which case you should replace the switch.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:34 AM   #3
paulb
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, scottyb,

Not sure what you mean by "checking the reverse micro ..."? My problem, not yours: I'm a bit dense electrically.

On the top of the FNR switch there is a block of three switches each with an arm that rides up on a cam when the switch is moved. When I move those arms individually, they each make a definite click as the arm is raised and when it is lowered. That suggests to me those switches are mechanically okay.

Is that what you are referring to?
Old 10-19-2011, 09:07 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I am referring to the function of the switch which is to interrupt a circuit or complete it. A click does infer that they work. It does not assure they work. It requires an electrical test to do that. The test should be conducted at least 5 times to assure the results.

Does your solenoid click (activate) in both directions? If not the solenoid activation is the trouble circuit.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:09 PM   #5
paulb
Not Yet Wild

Yes, the solenoid activates in both FWD and REV ~ without fail.

Is the "reverse micro" one of the three switches mounted on top of the FNR switch assembly or is it located elsewhere?
Old 10-19-2011, 12:19 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yes directional micro switches located on the direction selector switch. If solenoid clicks does it actually make the circuit reliably across the 2 large terminals?

Sounds like the failure may be in the rotary F&R switch contacts if all else checks out?
Old 10-19-2011, 01:40 PM   #7
paulb
Not Yet Wild

scottyb,

I found a wiring diagram here on the site that may or may not be applicable: it is labeled 95-03 48 volt Club Car. Do you know if that is applicable to my s/n A9642-537126?

The diagram is a bit grainy but seems to show 6 wires connected to the 3 switches (can't be sure but they seem to be labeled 'limit switches'). If memory serves, my cart only has 5 wires connected.

Gotta go to the airport to check this out - that is where the cart lives.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:22 PM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Scotty is right.. It's either a micro or an F&R switch problem... Try this and you'll be good to go...

Locate the rearmost microswitch on the F&R switch. Swap the Black wire with the white wire, should be terminals 2 and 3. Try and run the car.. see what it does..

If the car runs in reverse, but NOT forward, replace microswitch, OR Half-Speed reverse resistor. (Or cut the ends off of the green wire and the white wire and butt connect them together and leave that micro-switch disconnected permanently. This will completely bypass the "Half-Speed Reverse" function completely and reverse will function with full power, just as Forward speed does)

If car still runs only in forward, but not reverse, you've got a burnt contact on the F&R switch and it must be replaced
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:22 PM   #9
paulb
Not Yet Wild

TDZ and Scotty,

Nothing is ever easy!

Swapped the black and white on the aft switch. Initially, for one cycle, the cart moved both forward and back. Then, nothing. Wiggling the black and white wires at the switch regains some intermittent cart movement - forward or back - no consistent pattern.

When it does move backward, it seems to accelerate quicker than normal (jump) with the B & W reversed.

B & W are still reversed. It just occurred to me that I should move B & W back to the original positions just to see what does or doesn't happen.

What does all this suggest to you? Microswitch? FNR switch? More head-scratching?

Thanks.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:35 PM   #10
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb View Post
TDZ and Scotty,

Nothing is ever easy!

Swapped the black and white on the aft switch. Initially, for one cycle, the cart moved both forward and back. Then, nothing. Wiggling the black and white wires at the switch regains some intermittent cart movement - forward or back - no consistent pattern.

When it does move backward, it seems to accelerate quicker than normal (jump) with the B & W reversed.

B & W are still reversed. It just occurred to me that I should move B & W back to the original positions just to see what does or doesn't happen.

What does all this suggest to you? Microswitch? FNR switch? More head-scratching?

Thanks.
I suggest building yourself a temporary jumper wire, with a male blade terminal on both ends, and hooking the green wire to the white wire... If everything works perfectly, it's a Microswitch problem or halfspeed resistor problem. If you've still got intermittent operation, change the F&R switch.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car