lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-01-2011, 09:50 PM   #1
ahirt
Not Yet Wild

Default 48V 2002 Model Club car will not charge

Hi. Hope someone can help. When I plug 48 volt plug of Powerdrive charger into Golf Cart receptacle , relay in charger clicks and transformer buzzes, but no amps on meter and no charge. Voltage across battery pack is 36v (batteries are run down but new 18 months ago). Inside cart receptacle voltage is 35 V. Fuses are all ok. Charger measures 50V dc across charging pins on the plug when I wire power direct to transformer (around the relay). Transformer secondary coils measure about 100V ac (book says 84v min.). The OBC is a Lester Electrical 21155-02. Is this the problem? Is there any way I can confirm that the OBC is at fault? I tried resetting the OBC but no reverse buzzer sounds after I disconnect the neg terminal of battery pack. All wires appear to be sound and tight. Any ideas? I am about to go crazy.

Thanks.

Alan
ahirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-01-2011, 09:56 PM   #2
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 48V 2002 Model Club car will not charge

Your batteries may be too low to turn on your charger. Charge each battery with another charger or bypass your OBC and give that a try.
Colbyntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:12 PM   #3
ahirt
Not Yet Wild

I have done that. Bypassed the relay as described in the Powerdrive manual for charging a cart with low batteries so the charger is on but still no amps are delivered to batteries.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:21 PM   #4
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

One other test would be if you could borrow another charger from a buddy, shop, golf course ect and see if it works. Then you could see if its the charger or the cart!
Old 11-02-2011, 07:05 AM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyntx View Post
One other test would be if you could borrow another charger from a buddy, shop, golf course ect and see if it works. Then you could see if its the charger or the cart!
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:39 AM   #6
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahirt View Post
Hi. Hope someone can help. When I plug 48 volt plug of Powerdrive charger into Golf Cart receptacle , relay in charger clicks and transformer buzzes, but no amps on meter and no charge. Voltage across battery pack is 36v (batteries are run down but new 18 months ago). Inside cart receptacle voltage is 35 V. Fuses are all ok. Charger measures 50V dc across charging pins on the plug when I wire power direct to transformer (around the relay). Transformer secondary coils measure about 100V ac (book says 84v min.). The OBC is a Lester Electrical 21155-02. Is this the problem? Is there any way I can confirm that the OBC is at fault? I tried resetting the OBC but no reverse buzzer sounds after I disconnect the neg terminal of battery pack. All wires appear to be sound and tight. Any ideas? I am about to go crazy.

Thanks.

Alan
It should be much higher than that! I'd take previous advice and get a charger ( even if you have to rent one )! It won't cost nearly as much as your batteries, that are going bad as we speak!

Then you can do the tests on your charger, once the batteries are charged.

By the way, are they 8V or 12V batteries?
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:59 AM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

i should have added that your battery voltage#,s are borderline for charger to work however i beleive with low voltage that the charger won,t do anything so if its at least coming on ( humming ) you should have enough voltage and yes try and get another known working charger to narrow it down to cart or charger..............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:20 PM   #8
ahirt
Not Yet Wild

Hi again. I verified that my charger works fine by connecting it to another Club Car. The relay closed, the transformer hummed and the ammeter showed about 17 amps so whatever my problem is, it is in the cart. I am guessing it is the OBC since all connections are clean and tight. I even tried bypassing the relay and connecting the charger to the cart. This should cause it to charge the batteries - but, although the transformer hums, "0" amps are delivered to the cart. The cart has 8V batteries and a 21155-02 model OBC. Does anyone repair the OBC? Anyone know an inexpensive source for a new OBC?
Thanks
Old 11-04-2011, 03:29 PM   #9
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Good to know that now we are dealing with the cart and not the charger. What I can't figuer out is why it won't charge with the OBC bypassed? Something is not hooked up right or a fuse is blown or you did the bypass wrong????? It is very easy to miss something. Check it all again very close! It should charge with the OBC bypassed! As far as a cheap source for an OBC, theres not!
Old 11-04-2011, 03:59 PM   #10
ahirt
Not Yet Wild

Does bypassing the relay in the Powerdrive charger bypass the OBC? I don't think so. The OBC has an SDR (silicon diode rectifier) that controls the current that the charger delivers to the cart. If this is blown then even if the charger is fine, nothing will go to the batteries. Even when I bypass the relay in the charger, the OBC is still connected. How do I bypass the OBC?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car