lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-09-2023, 08:44 AM   #1
Buzzworth
Not Yet Wild

Default Back again 99 TXT series

You guys were a big help getting this cart back on the road:

https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=187434

It runs at low speed but hasn't got any power to climb even a slight grade. So much has been replaced, but the controller and motor have not.

Anything obvious that I need to go after? Good batteries holding 100%, controller was rebuilt a few years ago, but there was a over heating problem since. I found the rotary switch had contact problems that have been fixed.

So, it runs, but no ooomph. Anything I should check ?

TIA

Buzz
Buzzworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-09-2023, 09:17 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Back again 99 TXT series

Batteries and contacts. Check battery voltage under load when the cart is failing to climbg the slope. Check F&R and solenodi contacts for degraded contact surfaces.

How long has your repaired controller lasted?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 09:30 AM   #3
Buzzworth
Not Yet Wild

Good morning and thanks for the reply,

Controller was rebuilt in 2019 but was only used a short time.

Someone replaced the FNR switch with a new one. It was VERY hard to move from forward to reverse and appears to have been driven with it not fully engaged. This, in turn, got hot and melted a contact.
I rebuilt it and appears to work well now.

I'll check the batteries under load later today. They had been sitting for about 4 years, took a charge and show they are holding.

Solenoid is new.
Old 01-09-2023, 09:33 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzworth View Post
Good morning and thanks for the reply,

Controller was rebuilt in 2019 but was only used a short time.

Someone replaced the FNR switch with a new one. It was VERY hard to move from forward to reverse and appears to have been driven with it not fully engaged. This, in turn, got hot and melted a contact.
I rebuilt it and appears to work well now.

I'll check the batteries under load later today. They had been sitting for about 4 years, took a charge and show they are holding.
My experience tells me the batteries are the problem. I have not seen a neglected set of batteries return to satisfactory service levels. They may show a fair at rest charge but capacity is lost which results in poor performance.
Old 01-09-2023, 10:30 AM   #5
Buzzworth
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
My experience tells me the batteries are the problem. I have not seen a neglected set of batteries return to satisfactory service levels. They may show a fair at rest charge but capacity is lost which results in poor performance.
Thanks Scott. I'm on it and will test today.
Old 01-09-2023, 01:00 PM   #6
Buzzworth
Not Yet Wild

Scottyb,

I tested the cart and under full throttle it only drops voltage from 36 to 33.6 volts.

The cart is sluggish.

I wonder if the controller could have been damaged when the F&R switch was intermittent. The controller & motor are the only things that haven't been changed, I'm told.
Old 01-09-2023, 03:12 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzworth View Post
Scottyb,

I tested the cart and under full throttle it only drops voltage from 36 to 33.6 volts.

The cart is sluggish.

I wonder if the controller could have been damaged when the F&R switch was intermittent. The controller & motor are the only things that haven't been changed, I'm told.
Try getting a reading when = Hard start up hill with a couple of guys onboard.
Wide open top speed is less amperage draw than pulling a load hard and fast from a stop. If this number is down 6v from the at rest reading then battery power is a problem.
Old 01-12-2023, 10:55 AM   #8
Buzzworth
Not Yet Wild

Got my buddy and his cart out yesterday (finally stopped raining) and did the test ScottyB suggested.
Voltage only dropped about 3 volts, but as we drove the cart around, it kept getting more sluggish. It felt like the batteries were dying but they never showed less than 33.6 volts and when we stopped the reading went right back up to 37+.

But then he told me when they were using it a few days prior, the controller got very warm. Is this a normal situation?
I've never noticed my 2006 TXT getting hot.
Old 01-12-2023, 12:22 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Controller should not be getting hot under normal use. I suppoe it could be the controller? Is the solenoid hot? If yes start there.
Old 02-01-2023, 04:41 PM   #10
Buzzworth
Not Yet Wild

After checking more things, we decided to go ahead and replace the controller because of the unit getting so hot. I ordered the following and installed it:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LPNFVPS...roduct_details

It solved that problem and the cart now has plenty of power. It is so torquey that it almost pops the front end off the ground when stepping on the go pedal.
Anyone familiar with this controller and is it adjustable ? It has a connector on the face, unlike the old one. Is this for a controller controller ? :-)

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO