lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-22-2018, 01:06 PM   #1
karly
Getting Wild

Default tech contactor

so i got mine running so a neighbor thinks i,m expert foolish man,, he has 4 flashes says contactor,, sometimes cart will run if you turn key on and off
always hear clicking ,,check across large post has 51 volts key on or key off sounds simple bad contactor,,but if i unhook positive battery terminal from batteries i no longer have voltage of course but also don,t have continuity anymore between large posts if contacts were stuck would have continuity positive on or off, no current thru small wires with key off, took solenoid apart cleaned contacts same results,, maybe missing something simple but confusing to me,, thx K
karly is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-22-2018, 03:24 PM   #2
karly
Getting Wild

Default Re: tech contactor

still have no idea what the positive post on batt, would have to do with solenoid,, however i took small wires off and used cleaner on them pulled plug on controller used cleaner on plug and recept, pulled fuses did the same,, now there is no longer continuity thru solenoid except when supposed to be and cart runs ok,, at least right now,, still don,t have clue as to why, but might help someone else thats having prob, and my neighbor gave me a beer going to drink really fast
Old 07-22-2018, 04:51 PM   #3
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

The coil of the contactor (the Albright 24v) should measure 52 ohms. The other source of 4 flash is a stuck motor brush which is quite common. The next item down the line if the contactor measures okay and the brushes move freely is the controller itself.
Tech Support is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 03:05 PM   #4
karly
Getting Wild

yeh,, went thru that with mine if you remember,, 4 flashes but mine would not move at all so put controller on it,, but his you can go untill you stop for a minute then won,t go again but if you wait for awhile 10 min,s then goes again sometimes he can turn key on and off several times and it will go,,and solenoid clicks each time you time on off,, don,t think its a controller on his wouldn,t a controller either be bad or good?? i,ve never seen a electronic thing work part time, or could it actually be the solenoid even tho it tests ok? maybe the coil is weak,, maybe you know where to get a solenoid without having to order one thx K
Old 07-24-2018, 10:42 AM   #5
karly
Getting Wild

so did what you said checked across small wires (coil) no readings period you said should be 54 ohms i believe,, placed probes in red and yellow coil wires turned key on it starts at 5 volts and goes to 1 1/2 think its supposed to be 24 maybe wrong. checked all wire connections and fuses can,t see anything wrong,, today he called and says it won,t move again and says there is only one flash on controller now and no solenoid click,, suggested take to shop but as i,m sure you already know no one will work on these things and columbia is 75 miles away so any help would be great thx
Old 07-24-2018, 02:29 PM   #6
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

For the coil wires, using battery negative for ground measuring, there should be 48 volts (full battery pack voltage) on both coil wires. When the key is turned on the controller then lowers pin 8 to 24 volts. This is what makes the 24V contactor work in different voltage cars. The controller chops so that with 48v on the one side and 24v on the other, the could gets the 24v it needs to engage.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:09 PM   #7
karly
Getting Wild

thanks for trying to help,, told him to either sell for parts and buy ezgo or club car or drive 80 mi, to leesburg,, i know you try your best to help people on line so please take no offense when i say the company you work for really sucks as far as the golf cart end of it, thx again K
Old 07-28-2018, 09:03 AM   #8
karly
Getting Wild

so if 2 coil wires don,t have 48 v to start what does that indicate ? pull red yellow and black off solenoid check across solenoid and get 58 ohms,,, put wires back on solenoid check 2 small wires using battery pack as ground and get 51 volts on each with key on,,, solenoid does not engage no click,, i can use a jumper wire with 24 volts and solenoid clicks or engages,, as i said started with 4 flashes and sometimes would run then one flash and solenoid no longer engages and cart no longer moves,,((maybe solenoid?)) i,m trying to help this old fellow only has social security and cart is his transport to stores,, so he can buy a contactor but cannot afford to take to leesburg factory,, any help would be fine thx k oh what the heck does personality out of range mean do these things actually have a soul??
Old 07-28-2018, 12:48 PM   #9
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

If sometimes it runs and sometimes it doesn't, and flashes a code 4- look to the plug in connector at the controller. Seen many that just don't stay in place any more..Its not the controller. As stated, stuck motor brushes or solenoid failing or failed will also flash a code 4
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:46 AM   #10
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

"personality out of range". The programming that is put into a controller is called a personality checksum. That's a summary of all the parameters loaded which account for which contactor, what voltage vehicle, ramp rates, motor impedance, and a lot of other items.

Take for example the motor. Impedance is set based on the motor itself. If something changes on the motor and it affects the impedance, the contactor would see that internally and flag that there is an issue.

It sounds like the contactor is absolutely fine, which would lead me to believe either the stuck brush or the controller. (I didn't include the loose connection on the main harness as I would assume that's the first thing anyone would double check, but golf cart guy is correct in mentioning that too.)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Columbia ParCar