lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2019, 07:00 AM   #11
BearsFan315
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: My 98 DS resurrection

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Changing direction with the engine, made a little road trip yesterday and picked up bluedubpirate's fe350 he removed for a vanguard.
LOL, that explains a lot :)

sounds like your project is coming along great, and should be running in no time, interested in seeing what you end up with after mods and updates !! may give me some leads on where to go with mine. mine currently is on hold a the moment. looking for another fe350 or older rear end for big block.
BearsFan315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-11-2019, 01:00 PM   #12
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearsFan315 View Post
LOL, that explains a lot :)

sounds like your project is coming along great, and should be running in no time, interested in seeing what you end up with after mods and updates !! may give me some leads on where to go with mine. mine currently is on hold a the moment. looking for another fe350 or older rear end for big block.
Get ahold of this guy, he's not far from you. He's been trying to sell the whole powertrain from this cart for a decent little while now. I'd say it's time for a road trip

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/golf-...art-out-3.html
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:00 PM   #13
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

I’ve got a 93 I am strongly considering doing basically the same with. The old 290 is worn slam out and the trans is toast in it.
Was also considering that 350 because he’s really only an hour from me. But I think the boss would kill me if I spent a couple grand on motor, lift, tires, body, and a winch... among all the other little things

Your project is coming along great! Can’t wait to see it finished!
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:09 PM   #14
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Sometimes it's easier and better to beg forgiveness than ask permission

Body work starts tonight. Not much body work to do, just some small scratches. I'm gonna put a light kit in it so not going to worry about the ones I'll be cutting out on the front corners, but a good spot to experiment.... I've never liked the idea of bondo on a plastic body, and plastic welding is a hassle. I'm going to try some JB Weld plastic weld (2 part epoxy) to fill the scratches. I think it would bond better to the plastic cowl, and flex a little bit as the body flexes. Bondo doesn't flex at all... I put it on them last night and let them cure all day. I'll sand them flush tonight and see how it works
Old 07-11-2019, 06:31 PM   #15
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Sometimes it's easier and better to beg forgiveness than ask permission
I’ve already burned up that card like three times in the last two weeks.

JB plastic weld does OK. I’ve used it on bumpers before with mixed results. Probably didn’t mix it right, but I would think it should work alright for the thick plastic body on a cart.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:36 PM   #16
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
I’ve already burned up that card like three times in the last two weeks.

JB plastic weld does OK. I’ve used it on bumpers before with mixed results. Probably didn’t mix it right, but I would think it should work alright for the thick plastic body on a cart.
Yeah, I'm not trying to "fix" anything with it. the 2 holes from the lights I'll plastic weld those so they're not going anywhere. Not sure I'd trust epoxy for a repair like that. I just thought it might work better than bondo to fill in the scratches on the front of the cowl. There's nothing deep, but if i'm going to paint it I'd like it to be as smooth as i can get it
Old 07-12-2019, 02:10 PM   #17
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Didn't get a lot done last night, but got the holes patched up. The epoxy seems to work pretty well for filling in the scratches. Obviously, it's a lot more work to sand it smooth than it is to work with bondo, but it sticks to the plastic body WAY better. I have a lot of confidence this will hold up as the cart is driven and the plastic body flexes and bounces a lot better

I did get the gas tank cleaned up too. Tonight I'll sand the rest of the scratches smooth from the epoxy after it's had a good 24 hours to fully cure. Might even get it cleaned, prepped and primed tonight. Going to focus on the front cowl first, and once that's finished I'll work on the rear body. With my other cart, the kids 4wheelers and stuff in the shop, and this DS in a bunch of pieces, I'm running out of room to set up saw horses for both halves of the body so I'll do one half at a time :) Hope to have the body finished and painted by the end of the weekend so it can sit and cure for a couple days before I reinstall it to the cart.

Couple pictures of the hole patches. I saved the pieces from the last DS I installed headlights on, used that for the filler plugs. I cut them out with a hole saw so they were the right size, plastic welded them in and filled the hole in the center. They're quite firm, not going anywhere. The epoxy on the top has nothing to do with the structural hold of the plugs, it's just to fill them in. It looks a little bumpy sanded, but it's just the look. It's perfectly smooth with the body, once I get a layer of primer over the top you'll never even know they're there!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (107.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (92.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (135.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (128.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-12-2019, 11:30 PM   #18
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Finished with the holes. Holes are no more :) got everything sanded, prepped, primed, and got some color on the cowl. I think It's all starting to come together nicely. Will let the paint cure, and then tomorrow plan to clear it. Then the cowl will set aside for a couple days to fully cure. Then wet sand, buff, and it should be ready to install. I'll get the rear body going after that.

While waiting between coats of promoter, primer, paint, etc. I took the carb apart and dropped it into the ultrasonic cleaner. She shines like new again.

After I mow the grass tomorrow, I may have to drop the rear body and seat on, and take it for a ride
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190712_234804.jpg (145.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190713_000316.jpg (226.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-14-2019, 07:24 PM   #19
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Cleared the cowl last night. Now I'll let it sit for a couple.days and cure fully before sanding and buffing. I think it came out great :) Will start working on the rear body now.

Dropped the rear body on this morning and took it for a ride. Have a little work to do, but runs great. Shes a little.cold blooded.on a cold start but the choke button is in a box.somewhere... and after about 2 laps around my yard (half mile or so of driving) it starts smoking. BAD. My front yard is about an acre and a half and it looked like a rock concert there was so much smoke! Once it cools off, no smoke at all until it's been running for about 10 minutes. I'm gonna need to replace the exhaust. I used the exhaust/muffler from the original engine in was going to rebuild. The one in the pictures that smoked so bad for so long that the exhaust valve and port in the head was almost COMPLETELY blocked off with nastiness. I can only imagine what's inside the muffler... it makes sense though. Once the exhaust gets hot enough to start burning the oil it starts smoking. I'll swap the muffler with my other one and confirm. Then try and bbq this one like a 2 stroke.

Otherwise, it's running great. Should look nice with paint, seats, and a roof. Then lift, wheels, and tires
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190714_163441.jpg (124.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-14-2019, 08:01 PM   #20
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

That front body looks great! Can't even tell you patched it! (at least not from here)

I should get you to come do some body work on my car! I lose patience after a few coats of bondo and glaze compound and just say screw it good enuff! I can paint pretty well but the prep and sanding to get it all smooth just wears me out.

Waiting on primer to dry right now so I can throw a quick coat or two of sorta-kinda-matching white in the lower corner of the rear door frame, then tomorrow I'm sanding the rocker panels to coat with some spray on Bed liner to cover up all my good sanding work where I patched the dog-leg.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car