lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-29-2009, 08:37 PM   #11
Cessna75
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 87 CC Gasser - New Life to an Old Cart

Scottyb, that brings up a question that has been bothering me since I started on this project. When I got this cart, it didn't have a drive belt and I've never seen a double clutch setup like this before. When I get the driven clutch back, I'm not sure I really know how the drive belt is supposed to set at rest on the Comet drive Clutch. I'm really kind of at a loss as to how I'm supposed to measure the distance for where the engine should be and how I figure out what size belt to use.

I did see Doolin used an EZ-Go belt (1989-91 i think) so I went ahead and ordered it right away, but I may have jumped the gun. I know it is 1 3/16" wide as opposed to the 15/16" stock belt, but I'm not sure how much longer it is.

Any advice offered will be gladly accepted.
Cessna75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-30-2009, 06:23 AM   #12
Cessna75
Getting Wild

Club Car

Here's a look at how the front suspension looked to start:

Old 04-30-2009, 06:26 AM   #13
Cessna75
Getting Wild

Club Car

I opened the "black box" mounted to the frame and figured out how the throttle linkage was supposed to work. The throttle cable was broken in several places. I'm thinking a little clean up and some Back to Black will have this thing looking pretty again in no time.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:32 AM   #14
Cessna75
Getting Wild

Club Car

Time for some "action shots" Caution - men at work. (hahaha) This is my Dad and me getting ready to remove the old engine and exhaust before we took the rear end out:

ENGINE - Now you see it..........

.....Now you don't!

Old 04-30-2009, 06:37 AM   #15
Cessna75
Getting Wild

Club Car

The transmission and diff were really filthy. Covered in mud and grease and badly anodized. To date, i've gone over it quite a bit with a tiny steel brush and some steel wool to make it look a little better. I'm thinking of getting after it with some navel jelly and aluminum polish to make it really shine since the body will be lifted and it will show pretty well:

Old 04-30-2009, 06:50 AM   #16
azboo
Super Moderator

Club Car

Good job so far
azboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:15 AM   #17
CC-John
prop. A$$hole's Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna75 View Post
The transmission and diff were really filthy. Covered in mud and grease and badly anodized. To date, i've gone over it quite a bit with a tiny steel brush and some steel wool to make it look a little better. I'm thinking of getting after it with some navel jelly and aluminum polish to make it really shine since the body will be lifted and it will show pretty well:
Get some Eagle One Acid Etching Wheel Cleaner.. It can be found at most auto parts stores, it will make the frame and axle housing look like new..

Here's a few pics of Ike's frame and axle after cleaning..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1068.jpg (82.1 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1069.jpg (74.0 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1125.jpg (65.5 KB, 113 views)
CC-John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:28 AM   #18
Cessna75
Getting Wild

Club Car

John, your frame looks awesome, great work! I picked up a bottle of that cleaner and used some on the back part of my frame but it didn't come out nearly as nice as yours. How long did you leave it on and did you do any scrubbing? Also, how old is your frame/how bad did it look to start?

Again, great job!
Old 04-30-2009, 07:46 AM   #19
CC-John
prop. A$$hole's Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna75 View Post
John, your frame looks awesome, great work! I picked up a bottle of that cleaner and used some on the back part of my frame but it didn't come out nearly as nice as yours. How long did you leave it on and did you do any scrubbing? Also, how old is your frame/how bad did it look to start?

Again, great job!
Thanks!!

Ike's a 1996 model, and his frame looked awful after being submerged during the hurricane.. The combination of fully charged batteries and saltwater had turned sections of the frame black.. After cleaning the frame with a degreaser.. I sprayed on a light coat of Eagle One, let it sit until almost dry, then spray on another coat.. A stiff bristle brush will help with the stubborn spots.. After rinsing, just go back over the areas that look like they need more cleaner.. I ended up using three bottles of the cleaner to get the frame to the way it looks now.. I really wasn't going for show quality, I just wanted to remove all the discoloration and corrosion from the saltwater..
CC-John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:49 AM   #20
Cessna75
Getting Wild

Club Car

Finally got the front bolts out of the rear leaf springs, wow what a chore! We used my airratchet on the bolt head while Dad kept smacking on the other side of the bolt. Took a while but we got it out in one piece. Here's the frame and rear end seperated:

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car