lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-11-2007, 02:05 PM   #1
Hazzard
Not Yet Wild

Default Clutch Spring

What all can you tell me about the performance upgrade when you replace the clutch spring? What if you replace the spring and then install the short belt, is it twice the torque or????.....
Hazzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-11-2007, 03:43 PM   #2
ruredy
Born Wild

Default Re: Clutch Spring

There is a point where to much of a good thing becomes annoying. Having to rev your engine up to its upper limits everytime you move the cart can quickly grow into one of those things. I would just try the belt first, if you find yourself needing more you can always add the spring and or 28degree clutch later. you won't need to though, the belt is more than enough.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:31 AM   #3
Hazzard
Not Yet Wild

i put the belt on my cart this morning. I cannot tell a differnece in forward but reverse seems a little stronger????, maybe the guy who I bought the cart from already had this done. I did notice belt squeaking at higher speeds though. I guess the belt wasnt the thing for me.....think i need to try the spring next?
Hazzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:49 AM   #4
ruredy
Born Wild

sorry about the belt thing, I guess I should have said to make sure the belt was shorter than the belt you had before using it.
The spring will keep the driven clutch closed longer letting your engine gain more rpm's before it starts opening changing the gear ratio. If the spring thats in your driven clutch does not have the bent end part that fits in one of the little holes, then you already have the stiffer spring. I don't think much of this mod, its not really a good way to do it in my opinion. The thing I would do is change the driven clutch. The 28 degree driven clutch (this is the ezgo way) is made for load hauling and pulling power. If you don't feel like spending alot for a 28deg clutch you can change just the cam on the 36 degree driven clutch to a 28 degree cam. check to see which cam your driven clutch already has before buying the parts for this mod. the normal txt clutch cam has 36 degree ramps on the cam, it will have a 36 stamped on the back of them (closest part to the rear end housing). the 28 degree clutch comes stock on the ST models and has 28 stamped on it. The steeper angle on the cam makes it harder for the clutch to open, this is the same result as a stiffer spring but you don't have all the load a harder spring would put on the parts.
The 28 degree cam, and buttons can be bought from ezgo.
E-Z-GO part #'s are
1 each - 72329-G01 Cam
3 each - 72324-G01 Button
use 120 degrees of preload, and the middle spring setting.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO