lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-26-2011, 05:43 PM   #51
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

Default Re: "Early 90's EZGO - Needs a Rebuild"

you got it. i wouldn't use an impact unless at low power, don't think the bolts will hold? maybe crank it down as hard as you can and grab a cold one or two. since you already cut off the end of the crank, which i did also, might try hitting the end of the puller while pressure is on it.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-26-2011, 06:17 PM   #52
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

those flywheels are the biggest pain in the a** EVER - mine took almost 3 days of hourly PB to get to where it would come off. What I did was got the puller under tension and used a 3/4" bolt as a punch against the rim of the flywheel (I didn't want to hammer hard on it directly in case I missed, I really wasn't in the mood to crack the case) - 3 or 4 taps and *pop* - off it came
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:19 PM   #53
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

and btw, all the hammering in the world on the face of the flywheel won't help, trust me - and I would really, REALLY steer clear of the impact (I tried that and all it did was send me back to the hardware store for more bolts, LOL)
Old 05-26-2011, 06:21 PM   #54
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well, I tried the ipact gun before reading this and STRIP for the centre bolt in the puller. This was after it self stripped earlier in my first attempt. Not much else I can cut off anywhere if it doesn't go this time!

BCM, did you place the bolt behind the fans on the backside of the flywheel with the tip on the metal part?

Madoc, I'll give it a whack - hopefully it doesn't strip again.....

Update - How @#$%&*@ tight can that $#@&%!*& flywheel be on there? It's been 9 hours, I've stripped a bolt twice, used 1/3 of a can of PB, and nothing.

(sound of tearing hair out)

Last edited by ScooterMcTavish; 05-26-2011 at 09:46 PM.. Reason: Provided an exciting update!
ScooterMcTavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:18 AM   #55
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Hahaha - I'm not laughing AT you, just a bitter laugh as I recall the same disbelief regarding how hard it was to pull the flywheel on mine ...

Yeah, you want to put the bolt against the rim of the flywheel, behind the fan but in front of the engine case lip (right against the outer edge of the flywheel) - and you also want to hit it in the direction of the crank (towards the center) - as close as possible to straight down, perpendicular to the crank. Do this in a few spots and she should pop right off (like I said, no amount of pounding on the flywheel face helped me at ALL, also don't bother trying the impact again, trust me - unless you like buying bolts and pullers)

Pulling a 2PG flywheel is NOT the way I'd want to start a Holiday weekend, let me tell ya
Old 05-27-2011, 08:20 AM   #56
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Oh, and again - make SURE you have the puller hooked up and under tension when you do it - not "neanderthal" tension, either, just enough to hold the puller in place by itself and maybe another 1/8 turn to create some pull/tension
Old 05-27-2011, 06:52 PM   #57
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks BCM,

Tried this and actually used a flat edge screwdriver - a few dozen whacks, and the flywheel shot off.

Now I'm ready to cry - been working on one of the crank seals, and can't get it to move. I've tried cutting out as much rubber as I can, prying with a pair of angle nose pliers, sinking screws into it, using a rubber mallet, and even tapping it in a tiny bit to make sure it's not seized (it wasn't).

So now I have a destroyed seal that won't budge!!!

#$%&@#$@

Any ideas? I guess I could crack the case, but what are the potential negative implications of that? Or anyone have any additional ideas they could suggest?

#%$@&%$@
Old 05-27-2011, 07:12 PM   #58
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

went thru the same thing. after apart you will see how it works. you can genlly tap the inner race of the bearings. then you can spin them. if good a nd smoth they should be ok reuse. i put the bearings back in the case first and then tapped the cases until they were close enough to pull together with the bolts. you will need to use an anerobic sealant that is resistant to seal the two case halves. permatex makes one to use on motor cycles.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:10 PM   #59
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Where's Dave when you need him - if I remember correctly, he had a trick for getting mangled seals out (maybe he'll browse through here before you have to split the case)

Oh, and glad it worked for you too - bummer about the G&^*% seals ... Don't feel bad though, I did a brake job on my Marathon today and just about everything that could go wrong did (mostly my own fault, of course) - on the upside, I'm rolling again, on the down, if I need to NOT be rolling, well that's a slightly different, slightly scary story, hahahaha
Old 05-28-2011, 07:56 AM   #60
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks BCM for the idea. I sent Dave a PM - maybe he'll come chime in with an idea or two.

Madoc, at this point I really, really don't want to touch anything, but I guess a full deconstruction of the motor makes logical sense from a "hey maybe this guy overlooked a simple thing, and I can get a $200 cart running" perspective. Hopefully Dave will have some ideas before I start cracking the case.

Maybe for a change of pace, I'll go get myself frustrated by the seal on the clutch side.

And my old sparky cart had no brakes for some time - used to warn golf partners to let us go in front for safety reasons.

Tags
am i crazy?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO