lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-05-2011, 12:43 PM   #1
lakeman
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default '01 Club Car Smoking

My 01 DS smokes after coasting down hill, then accelerating. Doesn't do it everytime, just sporadicly. Any ideas, rings, valve ????
lakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-07-2011, 06:17 PM   #2
ecrouse
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: '01 Club Car Smoking

Get it some nicotine gum...

What color smoke? Blueish or gray would be oil while dark/black would be fuel.
ecrouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:09 AM   #3
lakeman
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

It is a blueish gray color. I'm thinking it may need a ring job. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks
Old 10-11-2011, 11:16 AM   #4
stinger5
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeman View Post
It is a blueish gray color. I'm thinking it may need a ring job. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks
It sounds like rings but a compression test would help the diagnosis. You should have around 150psi + - 10% on a healthy engine. Another thing to check would be both the oil level and oil condition. Too much oil will cause it to smoke a little and as regards the condition; compression gas getting past the rings will blacken the oil and add a slight gasoline odour to it.
stinger5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:48 AM   #5
lakeman
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thank You for your reply stinger. i am going to check the compression this weekend. A ring job is not too difficult to do is it? I have changed rings in 2-stroke motorcycles before. Is it somewhat comparable? Thanks.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
stinger5
Gone Wild

It's a lot more work than a 2 stroke because the cylinder is cast with the engine casing. Another thing to check before you get in up to your neck would be the valve stem oil seals although having said that; a more usual symptom of those going bad is smoke on start up due to oil seeping past them and into the combustion chamber. Bad rings on the other hand will cause the crankcase to be pressurised. You might try to remove the oil dipstick and see if you have any smoke coming from there when the engine is running. While i'm rambling on, if your compression does prove to be low, squirt about a desert spoon of oil into the spark plug hole and test again. A sudden big jump up in compression will prove almost certainly that is indeed the rings.
Your cart isn't lifted is it ? Some folks have had smokey motors after a lift due to over filling the engine oil because the hash marks on the stick are now innacurate due to the change in engine angle.
Hope that helps a little more with your diagnosis
Old 10-12-2011, 05:44 AM   #7
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinger5 View Post
It's a lot more work than a 2 stroke because the cylinder is cast with the engine casing. Another thing to check before you get in up to your neck would be the valve stem oil seals although having said that; a more usual symptom of those going bad is smoke on start up due to oil seeping past them and into the combustion chamber. Bad rings on the other hand will cause the crankcase to be pressurised. You might try to remove the oil dipstick and see if you have any smoke coming from there when the engine is running. While i'm rambling on, if your compression does prove to be low, squirt about a desert spoon of oil into the spark plug hole and test again. A sudden big jump up in compression will prove almost certainly that is indeed the rings.
Your cart isn't lifted is it ? Some folks have had smokey motors after a lift due to over filling the engine oil because the hash marks on the stick are now innacurate due to the change in engine angle.
Hope that helps a little more with your diagnosis
DO NOT remove the dipstick when the engine is running!!! Oil shoots everywhere! (past experience! )
lockman1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:30 AM   #8
lakeman
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Lockman, but I did that a couple of weeks ago. Shot oil in wifes face,not a happy camper. Still making up for that one. LOL
Old 10-12-2011, 10:33 AM   #9
stinger5
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post
DO NOT remove the dipstick when the engine is running!!! Oil shoots everywhere! (past experience! )
Strange. Mine doesn't do that at all. Bog standard FE290
Old 10-16-2011, 09:33 PM   #10
skarp
Gone Wild

My 2000 smoked....ended up being the little flapper valve inside valve cover was weak and letting oil go into vent hose into carb causing smoke. Replaced that and adjusted valves....runs like a top and no smoke!!
skarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car