lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-29-2015, 03:26 PM   #1
FlyingT
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Building a mountain cart - suggestions

I'm a newbie to this site and any advice would be appreciated. I've been researching a bit and trying to come up with a plan to build my own hunting cart. The purpose is to get us up the mountain and park at the top. We hunt in MT and typically have either hiked or gone on horseback about 1.5miles on flat to 20% max grade in the morning on switchback roads and again on the evening archery hunt. We want an EV for stealth and I find the commercially available buggies to be costly and I'm wanting to build my own. I'm thinking of starting with an EZGO TXT model as the base. I need to maximize battery life and utilize a high torque engine. Types?

Any and all suggestions appreciated. Thanks!
FlyingT is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-29-2015, 04:16 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Building a mountain cart - suggestions

Welcome to BGW!

Stock golf cart specs is up to a 25% grade, so 20% grade shouldn't be much of a challenge. Inclines are hard to judge and percent of grade gets mixed up with degree of incline, so I attached a hill grade conversion chart.

I built my cart for range (distant traveled) and it does a bit over 30 miles on a single charge, travels about 28 MPH on level ground, stays above 20 MPH on hills less the 25% grade (14°) and tires run out of traction before the motor runs out torque when climbing steep hills.

One thing to remember is the taller the tires, the less torque you have available.

What kind of round trip distance do you need?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hill Grade Conversion Chart.JPG (71.3 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:40 PM   #3
Revolution
Voltaholic

Mixed Breed

How manny passengers?

How much gear?

What size critter will you be hauling back?
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:59 PM   #4
FlyingT
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks for the replies! Round trip is under 3 miles. We climb 1000ft elevation. Total payload up would be four guys with bows. Roughly 800lbs.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:00 PM   #5
FlyingT
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

We would be hunting elk/deer and we have a gas powered polaris we would use to transport the game back to camp once quartered
Old 03-29-2015, 05:17 PM   #6
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Flying-T,

As the others have mentioned, welcome to the forum. This is a great place for asking questions just like you have and for trouble shooting issues with electric or gas carts, and asking about upgrades from street to off-road.

I am a disabled hunter here in Southwest Pennsylvania. The terrain here can run from flat, to rolling hills to mountains. (Yes, real mountains that, like you ask, will go up 1000 feet and even more!! Black bear don't live "down at the corner!!)

So, I have an EZ-GO TXT, with most of my upgrades listed at the bottom of my post. Now, I believe my top speed is about 7mph, but I have enough torque to pull a rhino horn out. I run 8 6-V Trojan batteries (48-V total) and the temp's I ride in will be from 80 in the summer to 15 in the winter. Even lower if I get really "house bound crazy."

Go with top quality "stuff" and you will go a long time before you have problems. With a TXT and steep hills, go with one of ScottyB's F\R Reversing Contactors and toss the old style manual F\R switch. It's well worth the investment. With 4 guys, go with HD springs all the way around. And for sure disc brakes on the front at a min. I run the factory drums on the back and Jakes on the front with great success.

IMHO, I would stay away from the Bad Boy Buggies. They appear to have problems and when they do....the fix's appear to be difficult. Aside from the fact that they are much more expensive than you can build....and what you build is "more better" than the BBB can offer.

But, ask questions and do your research. And again, welcome to the forum.

Dave
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:54 PM   #7
FlyingT
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks DaveTM. Do you use the stock motor or did you need to upgrade? What type of mileage do you get between charges?
Old 03-29-2015, 06:15 PM   #8
Bronco Barney
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingT View Post
Thanks for the replies! Round trip is under 3 miles. We climb 1000ft elevation. Total payload up would be four guys with bows. Roughly 800lbs.
Remember if all of you guys score it will add weight fast! Happy Hunt'in! I hunt in Montana when we do go and I helped a guy put a small bull elk in the little bed of a Kawasaki side by side (I think thats what it was) and it sunk it down so bad we called for a truck!

A year before I first went my friends put a big bull into the back of a Willy's jeep and all you could see in the back 'waz antlers and elbows!

Happy Hunt'in!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Could have been.jpg (140.2 KB, 0 views)
Bronco Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:15 PM   #9
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingT View Post
Thanks DaveTM. Do you use the stock motor or did you need to upgrade? What type of mileage do you get between charges?
I have a D&D motor. I'd have to look to see the model. But it's one built for torque and not speed. My milage on a "warm" day (warm being 60 degrees or better) on "rolling" hills is about 12. Now what you have to keep in mind is the road would be, for the most part, hard packed dirt. Same road and the temp drops to 20 degrees or less, my milage would be about 8 miles. Now, on one mountain that I hunt black bear on, it's almost a straight up climb and large sections of the road are deep gravel. This type of road takes more battery amps to make it up to the top. On a cold day I can make about three trips up and down this hill. Of course, the trip down is all "free wheeling" so not so much battery is used.

I hope this helps.

Dave
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:44 PM   #10
Revolution
Voltaholic

Mixed Breed

Well we have a good idea what you need now.

First step make a budget.

Second step throw the budget in the trash and warm up the credit card!
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO