lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-01-2015, 06:46 AM   #11
stewmagoo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sccowboy View Post
Should be the 3pg and I think 244cc.
Is that 11 hp?
stewmagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-01-2015, 06:48 AM   #12
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Purchased 90 marathon 2 stroke with ?s

Go to the tech section and under the "need a manual" scroll down to the link for serial number lookup. Should be able to see exactly what you have and get the specs that way
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:00 AM   #13
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

As Scowboy says it is the 3PG and it generates 11 hp. It also benefits from a more efficient differential. Here is a short history of the engine.

-In 1976 the so-called '2pg'--a 244cc, Fuji Heavy Industries/Robin Engine--with an internal starter generator (st/gen), became standard. Repair parts are still available except for the crankshaft assembly, the voltage regulator/starter relay and the internal st/gen stator & field.

-In 1980, an external, Hitachi brand starter generator was introduced and the engine was modified. The crank bearings, drive clutch, point set & condenser, voltage regulator and the engine frame all changed.

-1981 ushered in an electronic ignition system, which did away with the golf carts point set & condenser altogether, and the point activator lobe on the crankshaft soon went away too. Except for the addition of an oil injection system, this engine went virually unchanged until 1989 when the 3pg golf cart engine replaced it. Although the two engines are similar, many parts are very different.

-1983 was the oddball year for the 2pg engine. The muffler was placed behind the engine and it layed down instead of standing up. The '83 golf cart had a different engine frame, muffler & exhaust stack. It only lasted one year though...lots of problems.

In '84 the E-Z-GO golf cart went back to the old exhaust system & stand-up muffler on the driver side of the car.

1988 was the last full year of the 2pg engine. A larger golf cart carburetor and another change to the muffler & exhaust system were implemented trying to get more power for the car. The st/gen bracket also went through several changes as the incresed power caused the original bracket to break apart.

In mid-year 1989, (early '89 models had the 2pg engine) E-Z-GO changed to the '3pg' engine, leaving the old 2pg to history. The '3pg' engine has the spark plug turned upward, and the whole engine is rotated such that both clutches face the driver side of the golf cart. This rotation allowed for the differential to be changed from a hypoid gearing to a more efficient helical gear design, a change that persists to this day. The lay-down style golf cart muffler for the '3pg' engine is in front of, and slightly above the engine. The piston is about the only part that works in either engine. The crankshaft & clutches, the exhaust system, the carburetor, air intake & control cables all changed.

1992 is the generally accepted date that the twin-cylider 4-cycle engine became the standard power plant but in fact the 3pg engine can be found in golf carts as late as 1994.
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:03 AM   #14
stewmagoo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thank you sir that's what I needed. Really really like the cart. I have had gasser g9s, electric DCS, PDS but this one I like except for the excess smoke. So either a muffler BBQ or an aftermarket or replacement muffler is in order.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:04 AM   #15
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Dave, we need that run down stickied!
Old 05-01-2015, 07:08 AM   #16
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Finding that muffler for less than the cost of a kidney transplant may prove difficult. As long as it's not rusted out, the BBQ procedure shouldwork. THose engines producea lot of vibration and the resultof bad engine mounts etc will uusually show up as a crack in the exhaust stack. If you can, clean up around the engine base and cradle and look closely for cracks down there. When I had mine, I used round stock to reinforce the cradle.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:11 PM   #17
stewmagoo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The muffler and pipes look to be in good shape and I am anxious to peel it off to do a BBQ because it may make it inoperable putting it back together
Old 05-04-2015, 05:20 AM   #18
stewmagoo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well the smoke is going away but the fumes are still wicked. I even have an exhaust pipe running all the way out under rear bumper. It was done by the previous owner and works very well.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:45 AM   #19
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

I never could get away from that smell. You could try some of the race oil that is supposed to be low smoke. Redline I think is it.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:42 AM   #20
stewmagoo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well here is an update...I purchased the redline no smoke high performance oil. Made the proper mix. Rode it around the neighborhood maybe 2.5 to 3 miles. Ran great. Parked it in the garage for the night. Came home yesterday evening and looked on floor and a pretty healthy puddle of oil. Examined a little more and it looks like it's coming from the where the exhaust bolt into block. To throw fuel on the fire it won't start every now and again a small turn over but nothing. Ok now what.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO