lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-30-2015, 08:09 PM   #11
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G22 Overcharging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumper View Post
I am quite sure I have isolated it to the key switch.

The throttle switch had 0.3 ohms resistance and never changed when pushing the pedal several times. Also the wire connector for the switch is of the sealed type and one of the better ones I have seen.

The key switch resistance varied every time I turned the key on-off-on. The resistance varied from 4 ohms to 26 ohms.

I will get a new switch tomorrow and replace the old one.
Wow, that's pretty high resistance, considering that normally it should be pretty close to 0. Glad you got it sorted out. Good information for future troubleshooting. Ray
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-03-2015, 05:44 PM   #12
Pumper
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I replaced the key switch and still have some resistance left that makes the voltage on the red/white wire 1 volt lower than the battery volts which results in the charging volts to be 1 volt high. I am still trying to find that resistance.

Another interesting fact is I purchased a non Yamaha voltage regulator that looks just like the Yamaha VR, part number on the box is DYTJQ001. When I compared it to the Yamaha I found that the terminal the green wire connects to is connected to the case. That would ground the green wire from the field coil when it is mounted to the frame(frame is grounded) this would cause the charging voltage to never shut off. None of the Yamaha VR terminals are connected to the case.

Any thoughts on this?
Pumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:50 PM   #13
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

As I mentioned in an earlier post, grounding the green wire will give your generator full field and give maximum unregulated output all the time. You may be pulling enough current through the field to drop that 1 volt in the wires. You may have found your problem. Ray

Last edited by bigstik40; 05-03-2015 at 09:56 PM.. Reason: corrected
Old 05-03-2015, 09:54 PM   #14
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

That regulator ought to work fine on a G9, where its mounted on a plastic inner fender. Thats probably where them chineers built it.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:15 AM   #15
Pumper
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I am not using the "cheap" Chinese" regulator I am using the Yamaha VR. I bought the Chinese regulator to have on hand but I guess you get what you pay for.

I have not yet found the resistance that produces that voltage drop, not enough time in a day. Hope to get to it this week.

Thanks for your input, it helps.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:28 AM   #16
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Oops , misread your post. I now see that you only "purchased" the bargain regulator but did not install it. I've seen those bargain regulators before with unbelievable low prices and wondered what circuitry they contained. Would also be interesting to see whats in the OEM regulator (besides gold) that makes it so pricey. Good luck on your search - RAY
Old 05-06-2015, 08:32 AM   #17
Pumper
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

The G22 generator that was over charging decided to go to slightly under charging about 14 volts. So I decided to see if the generator is the problem so I disconnected the DF wires(red/wht and grn wires) by unplugging the connector. Now I connected the green wire to the battery neg terminal ran the engine up in RPM and held the red/wht wire to the battery plus terminal no more than 10 seconds, energizing the field coil, and all I got for charging volts was again about 14 volts.

This says the generator is bad I thought I should have gotten close to 20 volts.
I had made a wire harness to plug into the DF connector so I could reach the battery so I thought I better check its continuity. I got 6 ohms through the field coil, that looks OK a little over spec.

Any thoughts.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:11 PM   #18
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

This is really a beauty !!! Just grabbing at straws here, but you could make sure high current cables to the battery are clean and tight. Also check the output voltage right at the generator to make sure there are no voltage drops in heavy cable when putting out current. Another thought, maybe the battery is cooked by now or maybe a poor internal mechanical connection in the battery. Can't think of anything else right now. Staying tuned - RAY
Old 05-06-2015, 07:46 PM   #19
Pumper
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Those are good suggestions, I will try.

Batteries can do weird things, I had a battery on a 2007 Yamaha that was generating high volts(17-1 the battery was 4 years old so I replaced it and the voltage is now right in spec.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:03 PM   #20
kidmg217
Not Yet Wild

Did you ever figure out the issue? I have the same thing happening to mine and cant figure out why the voltage is lower to my regulator.
kidmg217 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, starter generator
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha