lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2015, 07:34 PM   #1
Jeannieon1st
Not Yet Wild

Unhappy can it be fixed ?

My grandkids kept switching from reverse to forward without coming to a complete stop and now my cart wont move. It's a 1993 EZ GO Gas . I had a well known golf cart repair/sales shop pick it up. I was told the transmission is shot and that they probably wouldn't be able to find the parts and would not be worth fixing.. Any thoughts ?
Jeannieon1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-12-2015, 07:56 PM   #2
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Default Re: can it be fixed ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannieon1st View Post
My grandkids kept switching from reverse to forward without coming to a complete stop and now my cart wont move. It's a 1993 EZ GO Gas . I had a well known golf cart repair/sales shop pick it up. I was told the transmission is shot and that they probably wouldn't be able to find the parts and would not be worth fixing.. Any thoughts ?
I would suspect bad hub splines before a transaxle problem. The ME29 transaxle is pretty tough.
That transaxle is pretty rare, and highly sought after. I'm not saying anything fishy is going on here, but I would be checking it myself.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:39 PM   #3
Jeannieon1st
Not Yet Wild

Thanks .. I have an uneasy feeling with the diagnosis myself.. guess I will take her home and have someone else take a look
Old 08-12-2015, 11:56 PM   #4
rib33024

Ezgo is known for striped brake hubs. To check if it's a striped hub, you need two people. You have to be able to see the nut that holds the brake hub on the axle. So if you have center caps on your rims remove them so you can see the nut on the end of the axle. Now one person needs to watch the nut and see if it turns and the wheel and tire does not, check both sides. Have some one sit in the cart, (NO kids) put your foot on the brake so the cart can NOT move, and push on the gas just a LITTLE BIT and see if the nut on the end of the axle spins. If it does pull the brake hubs and replace problem solved
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 04:05 PM   #5
Jeannieon1st
Not Yet Wild

finally got up to look at the hubs ( 170 miles away) one was completely smooth and the other was a little bit stripped... the axle spins both forward and reverse but when I put my foot on it it stops, it seems to have no torque ... what do you guys think ?
Old 09-07-2015, 04:10 PM   #6
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Quote:
finally got up to look at the hubs ( 170 miles away) one was completely smooth and the other was a little bit stripped... the axle spins both forward and reverse but when I put my foot on it it stops, it seems to have no torque ... what do you guys think ?
It's a common problem if the hubs are not torqued correctly. They start moving back and forth, then destroy the splines. Easy fix. Get new hubs.
Glad you found it.
If you don't hold both axles while turning the clutch, the other axle will rotate. It's an open differential.
The nice thing about not knowing that is now you will never forget.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:05 PM   #7
Jeannieon1st
Not Yet Wild

I'm so happy to read this you have NO idea. Going to order new hubs this week :)
Old 09-07-2015, 08:08 PM   #8
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Quote:
I'm so happy to read this you have NO idea. Going to order new hubs this week :)
I have some idea. We've all been there. Good luck with it.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:51 PM   #9
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hey guys,
Digging up an old thread as I just spun a hub. Glad to find this thread because I thought I'd grenaded the transaxle. Come to find out the right side hub is spun. So now I'm looking for a new hub. I see them for RXVs & older 2 stroke carts. But they specifically say their not for 4 stroke carts. I have a 99, which I believe was originally a 4 stroke cart, and now it has a Honda twin in it. Any suggestions where I can find a new hub to get this thing rolling again?
THanks.
AirJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:01 PM   #10
09MPT1200guy
Getting Wild
Cushman

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/clone...d-issue-2.html

Check this link. These are great replacements. I work my cart hard, and haven't broken one yet.
09MPT1200guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO